Going Hollywood

Going+Hollywood

After years of hard work, constant practice, local gigs and constant faith, senior Connor Leander was accepted into a summer program called the Grammy Music Revolution Project, and will be attending the biggest night in music, the Grammy Awards Sunday February 10th in Los Angeles.

“I was in a program over the summer called the Grammy Music Revolution Project,” Leander said. “The president of the Grammy museum and the education director ran it and we became good friends with them and they became good connections for us.”

According to Leander, he and a group of about 25 other people will attend the 2013 Grammy Award Ceremony together in an all expense paid trip to LA this February.

The program seeks out young new musicians. The selection process for the chosen attendees is very specific and is based on musical talent, as well as an essay turned in by the applicant.

“Over the summer there were over 200 applicants for the program, and only 25 got in,” Leander said. “They tried to have a lot of diversity and make it a unique group.”

Leander said that the idea of going to the Grammys had been thrown around and talked about, but he didn’t believe it would actually happen until he saw the invitation himself in the mail.

“I was blown away, I had no idea it was actually going to happen,” Leander said. “I was pretty surprised.”

During the summer program Leander said he received celebrity treatment and very unique experiences like going backstage at the Sprint Center, and getting to meet influential people, and he doesn’t expect any less at the Grammys.

“I would like to meet Jack White because I know he’s going and the Black Keys because I know they are going to perform,” Leander said.

Leander said he believes this to be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

“I think the only other way someone could go [to the awards] on an all expense paid trip is if they were nominated for an award,” Leander said. “So I think that’s really cool.”

Not only is Leander excited to witness the award show but he is also anticipating his stay in LA and what the city has to offer.

“I’m really excited to see the hotel and the things [the program] has set up for us,” Leander said.

It wasn’t a simple process for Leander to be accepted to the Grammy program. He’s played guitar for a while and he also sings and plays guitar in a band called “Down by Default.”

According to Nick Riffle, another member of the program who will also be attending the Grammy Awards, the program was over a four week period and each week a different genre of music was assigned. The musicians would have to create a completely new, original song and perform it at the end of the week. At the end of the four weeks, they would perform all their music that they had made in front of their friends and family.

“Going into the program, we didn’t know we would be going to the Grammys,” Riffle said. “All we know is that we leave on Saturday, go to the awards on Sunday and come back on Monday.”

Leander and Riffle recorded together and became friends throughout the program and have since created music together.

“I met Connor through the program, we’ve jammed a couple times,” Riffle said. “He’s a really good songwriter, and his musical style is really unique.”

Leander can hope that if his passion for music continues he one day may be able to go back to the Grammys again.

“I sure hope [I can go again],” Leander said. “To win a Grammy instead of just being invited…that would be fantastic.”