Huskies hold on, defeat Tigers 73-66

The boys varsity basketball team defeated the Blue Valley Tigers, Friday 21, 73-66. Junior Alston Mason led the team in scoring with 24 points.

Jonny Isaacson, Sports Editor

Heading into the fourth quarter, the Huskies found themselves with a comfortable 11 point, 59-48 lead. The Huskies would hold onto that double-digit lead for the majority of the fourth quarter until the Tigers moved to a press and turned over the Huskies. They would find their lead cut to six with 2:36 remaining in the fourth. Head coach Ed Fritz said the loss of the double-digit lead came down to the Tigers playing well.

“We turned it over, we missed shots and they played really well,” Fritz said.

Clinging to a six point advantage, senior Markell Hood would be called for a technical where a Tiger player would cut the lead to five, giving them the ball and a chance to make it a one possession game.

“Our guys were all huddled up because I told them to huddle up and the referees said they couldn’t huddle up and they gave him a technical,” Fritz said.

With the lead cut to three at 67-64, the Huskies were looking for a response on the offensive end. Junior Alston Mason would step up and knock down a crucial floater to give the Huskies a two possession lead with just under a minute to go. Mason said he was just trying to calm everyone’s nerves.

“I was just trying to calm everyone down, try to get the bucket and help our team stay in the lead,” Mason said.

The Huskies would continue to look the way of Mason as he would drill the final four sets of free throws to seal the win for his team. Mason said it was all about confidence heading to the line.

“Just being cool, calm and collected taking my time. I was just confident,” Mason said.

Due to the free throws, the Huskies would win the game, 73-66. A big part of the Huskies extending their lead to double-digits was junior Jack Chapman, who finished with 11 points in the third quarter alone. After only scoring four in the first half, Chapman said he was better able to play through the offense.

“[Fritz] just told me to keep playing my game, he said my opportunity will come, my shots will come,” Chapman said. “We were just playing through the offense, I got my looks in the second half and I tried to capitalize on them.”

Moving their win streak to 15, the boys varsity basketball team now has a record of 16-2 and will take on Derby high school at home Saturday Feb. 22.