Girls basketball

November 20, 2018

Blue+Valley+Northwest+senior+guard+Haley+Shin+%2811%29+dribbles+the+ball+during+the+fourth+quarter+of+last+years+matchup+with+Pittsburg+High+at+PHS+Jan.+20.+The+Huskies+defeated+the+Purple+Dragons%2C+54-29.+

Gabe Swartz

Blue Valley Northwest senior guard Haley Shin (11) dribbles the ball during the fourth quarter of last year’s matchup with Pittsburg High at PHS Jan. 20. The Huskies defeated the Purple Dragons, 54-29.

Following a 7-14 record last season that ended in the retirement of the former coach Brian Bubalo, head coach Matt Shulman is hoping to bring a new energy, getting students excited for the upcoming season. Shulman said he is optimistic after tryouts and believes that the girls can earn a better record with improvement.

“I think there’s improvements we have to make,” Shulman said. “[But], with our varsity squad, I’m very impressed just after a day to see how talented we are.”

Senior point guard Haley Shin said she feels optimistic about the team’s ability. Shin believes the team has a strong bond that will help them work together to win games.

“I think that the fact that we’re going to be able to know each other well and work together well will work for us,” Shin said.

Shin said the team’s overall goal this season is to win more games, building off last season’s record.

“Last year, we didn’t have the best season,” Shin said. “We’re just going to learn from some of the stuff that didn’t work last year and bring it in to hopefully win some games.”