Celebrate My Drive

In addition to dancing with the Dazzler dance team, juniors Megan McConnell and Natalie Pyle walk around to the various stations at the Celebrate My Drive event. “Being on Dazzlers has given me the opportunity to perform in places I would never even think of.” Pyle said.

Blue Valley Northwest participated in the “Celebrate My Drive” event at Oak Park Mall on Saturday, Sept. 15 to promote safe teen driving and potentially win a $100,000 grant. The first-year event, sponsored by State Farm, had 13 major simultaneous events across the nation as well as many others on a smaller scale.

Various activities and giveaways were available from 10am-6pm to anyone who signed up. According to State Farm employee Kevin Gamble, prizes ranged from free i-Tunes music downloads and chapstick to Beats by Dre personal headphones. Activities included a driving simulator, custom key chain making station, truck driver blind spot simulator, seatbelt enforcer and more.

“We have a lot of fun, celebration-type elements to really make teen driving a positive message,” Gamble said.

Signing up not only granted access to a free giveaway and activities, but also a vote for BVNW to win the $100,000 nation-wide grant. Students ages 15-18 could enter sweepstakes to win a car as well.

Gamble said any online voting done the week leading up to the event would be entered in the car drawing at a national level, but any entry done at the mall would go towards a chance to win a separate car. There will be both a national winner and a winner from Oak Park Mall that will receive a 2013 Chevy Sonic and $5,000.

To bring attention to the event and spark some spirit, Gamble said that various school bands and groups performed throughout the day.

Husky cheerleaders, Dazzlers and the marching band performed for shoppers starting at 2:00pm. The cheerleaders and Dazzlers’ show was located in front of the “Celebrate My Drive” area near the center of the mall and the marching band’s in the parking lot northwest of the building.

“It was fun cheering for a fundraiser rather than our normal competition or games,” freshman cheerleader Maggie Pyle said.

Principal Amy Murphy thought the performances were fun as well and promoted a great message.

“So often when we talk about teen driving, we talk about the negatives, worries and concerns,” Murphy said. “I think it’s cool that State Farm has taken the opportunity to say, ‘Let’s celebrate this.’”

The celebration’s prizes will be announced in the upcoming weeks on the Celebrate My Drive website, according to Gamble. Winners of the cars are expected to be known around Sept. 20, and the $100,000 grant after Oct. 15.