BVNW Loses To BVW At Home

BVNW Loses To BVW At Home

The boys varsity football team lost to Blue Valley West 10-31 at the DAC tonight.

The Huskies started off weakly as junior Bryan Gish missed a field goal on BVNW’s first possession at the 7:23 mark in the first quarter. BVW was first to score with 1:40 left in the quarter, making the score BVNW 0, BVW 7.

At the beginning of the second quarter, Gish kicked a successful field goal advancing the score to BVNW 3, BVW 7. With 1:01 left in the half, junior Troy Burgett answered with a field goal for the Jaguars. The half ended with BVNW 3, BVW 10.

The Howling Husky Marching Band and Dazzler Dance Team performed their show during halftime.

Halfway through the third quarter, BVW scored another touchdown and a successful extra point, making the score BVNW 3, BVW 17. In their next possession, BVNW fumbled the football and it was recovered by BVW. With 4:33 left in the third quarter, BVW scored another touchdown. BVNW senior Josh Farley was injured in the play and had to sit out the rest of the game. The quarter ended with BVW in the lead 24-3.

BVW scored again at the beginning of the fourth quarter, advancing the score to BVNW 3, BVW 31. With 5:15 left in the game, senior Austin Moses had a breakaway touchdown for the Huskies, narrowing the score to BVNW 10, BVW 31. BVW intercepted the ball in the end zone with 0:35 left to end the game.

According to head coach Mike Zegunis, he is disappointed that the team lost and was not expecting them to play as poorly as they did. Looking ahead, Zegunis said he hopes to fix the mistakes made tonight and improve for next week’s game.

“It’s hard to tell what we need to change right now,” Zegunis said. “We are going to have to sit down as a staff and look at the film and evaluate players and see how we can be better at everything: defense, offense, special teams. We had mistakes across the board. We just have to look at the film and get people to learn from their mistakes and move on to next week. Hopefully we can put the guys in a position where we will have more success.”

Senior Brian Ramsey said he was also disappointed in the team’s performance tonight.

“We went out there to win and we thought we could do much better than that,” Ramsey said. “We’ll need to work on playing a more mistake-free game and wrapping up the ball carrier for next game.”