• Mexican Food Review
    • Costa Vida
    • Qdoba
    • Chipotle

The Chipotle burrito: best burrito?

BVNWnews reviewed three casual mexican restaurants’ burritos in the Overland Park area. Chipotle is often teenagers’ go-to meal, but could a similar restaurant beat the common choice?

October 2, 2019

Costa Vida

8093 W 159th St, Overland Park, KS 66223

Back to Article
Back to Article

Costa Vida

A make your own burrito sits on the a colorful table at Costa Vida on 159th and Antioch.

Rachel Sarff

Rachel Sarff

Rachel Sarff

Located in the quiet shopping center on 159th and Antioch, Costa Vida provides customers with an option to sit in the restaurant or use their drive through. Walking into Costa Vida you are greeted with bright blue and yellow beachy decor, which doesn’t necessarily go with their orange logo however is pleasing to the eye. In the store the worker behind the counter immediately helped build a burrito with grilled steak, cilantro lime rice, enchilada sauce, pico de gallo, lettuce, shredded cheese and sour cream. The worker suggested enchilada sauce and cheese on top of the meal. As for the basics of a burrito, the steak was flavorful with a prolonging spice to it and the very fresh tortilla was the best the three restaurants had to offer. The lettuce and pico de gallo topping made the burrito taste fresh and the rice had a good flavor, but was slightly undercooked. The enchilada sauce was a let down due to its lack of flavor and the sour cream was just in a dollop in one chunk of the burrito. Overall, the steak had great flavor. However, the large amount of cheese couldn’t be tasted. The enchilada sauce had no flavor but made the burrito feel heavy. Costa Vida is a great option for anyone in south Overland Park who wants something similar to chipotle, however, maybe stray away from the enchilada sauce. 

$11.00

4/5 Stars

Qdoba

13641 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS 66223

Back to Article
Back to Article

Qdoba

A make your own burrito sits in an aluminum tray at Qdoba on 135th and Metcalf.

Rachel Sarff

Rachel Sarff

Rachel Sarff

In Qdoba the brightly painted walls are covered in colorful artwork, as well as all the flooring is dark wood. Watching the burrito being made, it was nice to see the workers thoroughly mix the contents of the burrito before wrapping it, however, they did a very poor job wrapping it and it quickly fell apart while eating it. Most of the contents of the burrito were very inconsistent; each piece of the lettuce was a different size and too large for a burrito, onions were chopped too large in all different sizes, as well as some pieces of the streak were burnt. Although the steak was burnt, it was the easiest to chew, which may be a good thing or bad thing. Because of the amazing corn salsa at Chipotle there was high hopes set for Qdoba’s corn salsa, but it was a let down with no flavor to contribute. This burrito was not impressive and what made the experience worse was the trash can was overflowing in trash, there was food on the floor and few tables were clean enough to sit at which makes for an unpleasant visit. Qdoba is the second cheapest option, had very little flavor, inconsistent ingredients, was difficult to eat and the restaurant was so messy it was unappetizing as well as makes the customer wonder about the cleanliness of the kitchen. Because of all that this restaurant deserves a 2/5 stars and I would suggest going to the restaurant once it had been cleaned and getting something different off the menu.

$8.96

2/5 Stars

Chipotle

7040 W 135th St, Overland Park, KS 66223

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chipotle

A make your own burrito sits in a tray at Chipotle on 135th and Metcalf.

Rachel Sarff

Rachel Sarff

Rachel Sarff

Chipotle has an industrial modern vibe with wood and metal decor surrounding the restaurant, it provides the customer with a very clean feeling atmosphere. At three o’clock the restaurant was very empty however on other days chipotle can be found with a line out the door. Inside Chipotle one walks right into the line which wraps around the restaurant’s dining area. Going down the line, the worker made the burrito with steak, cilantro rice, corn salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream and lettuce. This meal was not very messy, unlike the other two restaurants’ burritos, because it was wrapped well and did not have sauce on top like Costa Vida had, this made it  possible to eat with your hands. In the burrito, the steak was evenly cubed as well as the sour cream was evenly distributed throughout, unlike at Costa Vida. As you continue to eat the burrito, the heat grows from the quality steak’s spice, Chipotle definitely has the best grilled steak from any restaurant. The star of this burrito is the corn salsa, it added a special spice and freshness to the meal. The tortilla had a good flavor however was a bit chewy and overlapped creating unpleasant bites of just tortilla. This entire burrito tasted so fresh and the ingredients tasted like the highest quality. Chipotle is the cheapest option, had the most flavor, and was the easiest to eat, earning it 5/5 stars, this restaurant is a great option for anyone who wants a flavorful and substantial meal quick.

$8.73

5/5 Stars