Huskies defeat the 2022 5A state champions early in the season

The varsity baseball team defeated the Blue Valley Southwest Timberwolves 10-0 in their home opener, on April 4.

Senior+Jack+Kreisman+pitches+against+the+Blue+Valley+Southwest+Timberwolves%2C+on+April+4.+

Abbie Numrich

Senior Jack Kreisman pitches against the Blue Valley Southwest Timberwolves, on April 4.

Lindsay Maresh, Writer

The BVNW varsity baseball team defeated the 5A reigning state champions, Blue Valley Southwest, in their first home game of the 2023 season. The Huskies took an early lead when senior Jack Kreisman hit a home run in the bottom of the first inning.

When getting ready for the game, Kreisman said the team focused on preparing for a tough pitcher from the Timberwolves.

“We knew they had a good squad and we had prepared all week for what pitcher was going to be on the mound,” Kreisman said.

According to head coach Mike Pangborn, the team had not been hitting as well as they could have in previous games. However, he said their preparation leading up to this game paid off. Additionally, Pangborn said the team was able to show up in all aspects of the game, knowing they were facing tough opponents.

“Those guys know it and that’s a really good team,” Pangborn said. “So we have the idea that we’re gonna go and compete on every pitch, offensively and defensively, and see what happens.”

According to Kreisman, playing with the home field advantage felt different than the other games so far this season.

“[It] feels good to win the first one at our place,” Kreisman said. “You know, one of our goals is to not lose at home and starting it off right is awesome.”

Likewise, Pangborn said playing at home felt different compared to being the away team, especially due to the large crowd that showed up.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, the Huskies got their 10th run of the game, making the score 10-0. Due to the run rule applied in the league, this concluded the game, with the Huskies on top.

As the season continues, both Kreisman and Pangborn said the next big goal for the Huskies is to win EKL, regionals and state title.Quote

The varsity baseball team will play their next game against Springdale Har-Ber at 3:30 p.m. on April 7, in a tournament at Rogers High School