Huskies defeat Jaguars on senior night and win 2023 Sweetheart game

The boys varsity basketball team defeated Blue Valley West High School 63-44, on senior night, Feb. 10.

After+the+boys+varsity+basketball+game+against+the+Blue+Valley+West+Jaguars%2C+the+Huskies+celebrate+their+win%2C+Feb.+10.+

Bailey Thompson

After the boys varsity basketball game against the Blue Valley West Jaguars, the Huskies celebrate their win, Feb. 10.

Alyssa Gagnon, Sports Editor

Prior to the boys varsity basketball game against the BVW Jaguars, the team’s six seniors were recognized for senior night. Senior Grant Stubblefield mentioned the team’s closeness and the relationships he has formed with the rest of the team this year.

“We have a really close bond. We’re always hanging out and laughing. I mean, they became a family to me and I’m really gonna miss them next year,” Stubblefield said.

With the past week being spirit week, along with senior night occurring right before the game started, the Huskies had to make sure they came into the game focused according to senior Landon Braun. 

“I think all of us were really excited about the game more than spirit week. I think it’s important to us to have some school pride but overall we’re going to lock in on the game before anything else,” Braun said.

Likewise, head coach Aaron Ihm said the team prioritized preparing for this game, despite all the distractions going on around them.

“We need to be proactive, we need to get sleep. We need to let ourselves enjoy these moments and not just pass them by, but we also have to spend the appropriate amount of detail on the game plan and the work put in,” Ihm said.

By the end of the first quarter, the Huskies led the Jaguars 13-12. With it being a one-point game, Braun said the team decided to make some offensive changes in order to increase their lead.

“We decided that we needed to get into the paint more, which was our game plan coming in, but we just weren’t getting to it very well so we came up with some ideas to… get them in the middle,” Braun said. 

Throughout the second quarter, West scored eight points, making the score 27-20 at the half, Huskies ahead. 

During halftime, seniors Cameron Lynn and Carly Woodman were crowned Sweetheart King and Queen. 

At halftime, Ihm said the team talked about how in order to create more scoring opportunities, the team needed to focus on stopping West’s offense.

“We knew if we got enough stops offensively, we’d continue to be able to score,” Ihm said. “It just takes a few stops and then “boom” the game is broke open.”

The Huskies began to pull away in the second half and would go on to defeat West 63-44. 

As the team prepares for the postseason, Stubblefield said they need to concentrate on each individual game as they come.

“[We need to] take it one game at a time and just be focused on the moment,” Stubblefield said.

Additionally, as State approaches, Braun said they have been working hard to get ready but wants to continue improving as a team in order to do well.

“I think we’re pretty prepared, we obviously lock in the closer you get to State,” Braun said. “We’re on our way to becoming a really good team. We’re good now. We want to be great.”

The Huskies will take on Blue Valley High School on Feb. 14, at 7 p.m., at BVHS.