Girls basketball season comes to an end after loss in Sub-State semifinals

The girls basketball team was defeated by the Olathe West Owls, 42-31 in Sub-State semifinals, Mar. 1. It was the first time the girls basketball team hosted a playoff game since 2012.

Bailey Thompson

Senior Brynn Grosdidier embraces her mother after the Huskies season comes to an end in the Sub-State semifinals.

Jack Nitz, Sports Editor

Playing in their first home playoff game since 2012, the Huskies were unable to overcome an early deficit as they fell to Olathe West, 42-31 in Sub-State semifinals.

The Huskies and Owls kept it close from the start of the game, and West went into the second quarter with a 6-5 lead. However, in the second quarter the Owls broke open a lead and the Huskies found themselves facing an eight-point deficit going into halftime.

“We were able to keep it tight even though shots weren’t going our way. We missed a few bunnies there in both quarters that I think would have given us a little momentum and loosened us up a little,” head coach Matt Shulman said. 

Senior Brynn Grosdidier said she believed the team struggled mentally to start the game which caused them to fall behind.

“We got really excited at the beginning and I think we were a little in over our heads,” Grosdidier said. “When shots weren’t falling I think some emotions start up when we’re not doing as well as we can and it starts to go downhill from there.”

The Owls applied a full-court pressure for a majority of the game that gave the Northwest offense some trouble. Shulman said West executed the press well and used their physicality and length to force turnovers.

In the second half, Northwest had multiple comeback attempts, even shortening the Owls lead to 4 at one point, but they ultimately could not complete the comeback effort as they were defeated, 42-31. Shulman said he was proud of the team’s effort and by the fact that they never gave up.

“We were a team that lived and died by the word resiliency this year. We can withstand runs and we’re going to fight and compete,” Shulman said. “We were fighting and giving it our all and I think when you have eight or nine players who are playing their tails off and trying their hardest, after a certain point you run out of a little bit of gas. I think that’s what happened in the fourth quarter. We kept fighting and fighting but we could never break through.”

While losing in the first round of the playoffs was not what the team wanted, Shulman said he noticed many positives from the season.

“We had a good young group this year. We had some ups and downs, but we were resilient and we competed in some games that people might have not expected us to,” Shulman said. “We lost our leading returning scorer before the season started, but we had many different people step up in a variety of ways.”

With this loss marking the end of the season, and for Grosdidier and her fellow seniors the end of their Northwest basketball careers, Grosdidier said it is hard to see it end so soon and she will miss being a part of the team.

“I’ve played basketball my whole life and now that it’s over it’s hard because it is the end of a chapter that I didn’t want to close so quickly,” Grosdidier said.

Looking ahead to next year, Shulman said he will miss the three seniors and everything they have done for the program, but he feels confident in the program’s future.

“We had a great group of leaders in Brynn, Hayley and Megan. They all saw the worst of days for our program. They were a major part of the growth in this program and we’ll miss the work ethic and leadership that they have consistently provided for us,” Shulman said. “On the other hand, we have a bright future. Teams like Olathe West, Olathe North, and Blue Valley have many juniors and seniors which helps a lot in big games and tough experiences. That’s something we’ll have the benefit of having next year and I know it’ll be a great group going forward.”

Grosdidier said the realization that she played in her final game with her two younger sisters, sophomores Josie and Elise, was emotional.

“I’m really going to miss playing with my sisters. They’re my best friends and the idea that I am moving away next year and the realization that this is it and that was the last time we’re on the court together is pretty hard,” Grosdidier said.