Huskies defeat Timberwolves, 39-22, in senior night game

The varsity girls basketball team defeated Blue Valley Southwest, 39-22, on senior night. The Huskies held the Timberwolves to seven points in the first half.

Jack Nitz, Sports Editor

After losing their previous two games, the varsity girls basketball team bounced back on senior night, defeating the Blue Valley Southwest Timberwolves, 39-22.

The Huskies started the game off strong allowing zero points in the first quarter and by halftime led the Timberwolves, 22-7. Senior Hayley Numrich said the team did a good job limiting Southwest’s best player and showed high intensity on the defensive end.

“We locked down their best shooter, Abby Augustine. She only hit two threes the whole game,” Numrich said. “We also did good on our press and made sure no easy shots were taken.”

Head coach Matt Shulman agreed with Numrich, saying the team executed the game plan well and played hard on defense the entire first half.

“We had a good game plan to get some ball pressure. We sped them up and outside of a couple missed box outs we did a good job of limiting them to one shot and we made them turn the ball over a couple of times,” Shulman said.

In the second half, Northwest continued to play well on both sides of the ball and held onto the lead on the way to the 39-22 victory.

“We stayed confident even though some shots weren’t falling. We didn’t get some calls to go our way, but we continued to attack and play good defense,” Shulman said.

After the game the team’s three seniors, Hayley Numrich, Brynn Grosdidier and Megan Yates, were recognized along with members of the boys varsity basketball team and the cheer team. Numrich said it was an emotional night, especially with everything she and her fellow seniors had gone through over the years.

“We endured 40-point losses our freshman year and these past few years we’ve started to see some of the hard work come through,” Numrich said. “It was a sad game, knowing that it’s one of the last home games we’ll ever have, but there are some positives because we have a young team and I know we’ve helped to lay a foundation for them.”

Shulman said it was a great feeling to get a win on senior night, but he said it is bittersweet knowing the seniors time with the program is nearing its end.

“The tough part about it is that those three seniors have done so much for this program and done so much for the younger kids. But, it was nice for us to get a victory and for them to get recognized after the game. Yates was able to get the first shot of the game and Brynn and Hayley both scored as well so it was good to see them get the recognition they deserve,” Shulman said. “They all have incredible work ethic. They come in, they don’t complain and they’re all here to work and make everybody better. They’re positive forces and they continue to build people up. You couldn’t ask for three better kids.”

The Huskies will take on Notre Dame de Sion in their final home game of the season tonight at 7:00 p.m.