No. 10 Huskies hop out to early lead, defeat No. 3 Mustangs, 69-54

The boys varsity basketball team defeated Blue Valley North, 69-54, Dec. 17, in a rematch of a loss to the Mustangs earlier in the season.

Lucy Cole

Junior Grant Stubblefield shoots a free throw in the Huskies’ 69-54 win over the Mustangs, Dec. 17.

Lucy Halverson, Writer

A week before this game, the Huskies took on their rival Mustangs in the championship game of the Championship Showdown Tournament and were defeated, 58-47. Junior Grant Stubblefield said the previous loss against North inspired the team to work even harder, in preparation for this game.

“[Losing last week] made us want to win even more, it made us start practicing a lot harder, and realize that we have a lot to work on,” Stubblefield said. 

The first half of the game was neck and neck, with the Huskies leading the Mustangs 33-27 at halftime. 

“[Our coaches] said to stay calm, whether we were up or down. Basketball is a game of runs, so we needed to keep focus, try to stay calm and just keep the pace going,” Stubblefield said. 

Throughout the game, the Huskies’ student section remained loud and large, which Stubblefield said had a great impact on the game.

“The student section is really fun to play off of. When they start getting loud it makes you want to go even harder. You don’t feel tired at all because you’re just getting hyped with them the whole time,” Stubblefield said. 

Head coach Aaron Ihm agreed, saying the student section was phenomenal. Ihm also explained how the win against North will affect fans’ viewpoint of the Huskies. 

“I think it will make people want to come even more. We didn’t have a true season last year, with some of the requirements of Covid. And you know, you got a new coach and new players. People are a little iffy like ‘Who’s this guy? Are they any good?’ and I think [the win] gives people motivation,” Ihm said. 

Stubblefield said a win early in the season like this, will improve the overall mentality of the team.

“[The win] will give us a lot of confidence going into and out of the break. It will make us want to practice a lot harder, because we know what we’re capable of,” Stubblefield said. 

The game against North was the last before winter break. The Huskies’ next game will be against the Blue Valley Southwest Timberwolves on Tuesday, Jan. 4, at Southwest. D