Huskies hold on late to split series against Mustangs

The varsity softball team split their series against Blue Valley North with a 6-7 loss and a 8-7 win. After a seventh inning push the Huskies were able to close the door on the Mustangs.

Grace Davis

Senior Olivia Shin waits for a pitch in the varsity softball pinkout game.

Jonny Isaacson, Sports Editor

Holding a six run lead going into the final half inning of the doubleheader against Blue Valley North, the game seemed to be all but over. After losing the first game 7-6 in walkoff fashion, the Huskies seemed intent on getting the split. 

Freshman pitcher Elise Grosdidier pitched well prior to the seventh inning, only allowing two runs and three hits. Unfortunately for the Huskies, the Mustangs would start to rally and would get within winning position after scoring five runs. Trailing by one with runners on third  and second with two outs, the Huskies found themselves with the result of the game in doubt. Feeling like she needed a change of speed, head coach Kim White decided to sub out Grosdider for another freshman, Josephine Johnson.

“We couldn’t seem to get the last [out],” White said. “Josephine had been ready for two innings so I thought we’d change the speed a little bit.”

Stepping up to the mound, Johnson said she was nervous but knew she had it in her.

“I was really nervous but I knew I had to get it done because it’s something I’ve been trained to do,” Johnson said.

After walking a runner to load the bases, Johnson was able to get the final out after a Mustang batter grounded the ball to her which she easily threw to first for the final out. Happy to get the save for her team, Johnson said it felt good.

“It felt amazing to do that for my team and Coach White was so proud of me so that made me feel good,” Johnson said.

With the out, the Huskies won the second game, 8-7. White said Johnson stepped up when the team needed her.

“She did her job. She’s really stepped up and been ready the last couple games if we needed her and tonight I felt like we needed her and she pulled through and did a great job,” White said. 

Freshman Lainie Douglas had been in a batting slump prior to the past couple of games, where she has found her rhythm. Trying to keep her newfound confidence going, she was able to hit an inside the park home run in the first game.

“It felt good because last week I was in a slump, so it feels good to get out of it,” Douglas said. 

Having a few other big hits in the game, White acknowledged how Douglas has stepped up.

“Lainie Douglas hit the cover off the ball tonight which was really big for her, she got her first career home run and then tonight again hit the ball really well,” White said.