Huskies split doubleheader against Timberwolves

The varsity softball team split their doubleheader against Blue Valley Southwest, 12-5, 6-0. The Huskies won the second game behind a dominant pitching performance by junior Lindsey Farthing.

Grace Davis

Freshman Elise Grosdidier throws a pitch in the varsity softball game against Mill Vallley.

Jack Nitz, Sports Editor

After sweeping St. James in their doubleheader the day before, head coach Kim White said the Huskies entered the doubleheader against the Timberwolves with a positive mindset and ready to win. 

“The kids came out with a very positive attitude after they knew what it felt like to win. When you get a sweep it’s a really good feeling and it gave us momentum going into this game.”

In the first game of the doubleheader, the Huskies found themselves down 5-0 at the end of the second inning after a strong offensive showing early for the Timberwolves. White said the team had some communication issues that led to the early deficit. 

“We came out a little bit flat in the first game and we never really got going,” White said. “We weren’t really talking and our team feeds off energy and intensity and I didn’t feel like we had that.”

The Huskies began a comeback effort in the third inning, but ultimately fell short, losing the game, 12-5. Junior infielder and pitcher Lindsey Farthing said the team started to hit really well, but the Timberwolves pitcher was able to shut down the comeback.

“The inning that we started to come back, we started hitting really well. Their pitcher is really good and the next inning she came out firing and we fell back behind,” Farthing said.

After losing the first game, White said she talked to the team about what needed to be fixed and they played well, winning 6-0.

“We didn’t play to our potential in the first game. What I’m really proud of is when you lose a game like that pretty handily, we talked about some things before the second game and they came out and executed,” White said.

In the second game of the doubleheader, Farthing held the Timberwolves scoreless and only allowed five hits. Farthing said she was able to locate her pitches well and the defense made some good plays.

“I was hitting my spots really well today and I had a really good team behind me fielding,” Farthing said.

In addition to Lindey’s pitching, White said the team backed her up on the offensive end with strong hitting.

“We were hitting really well. We had multiple extra base hits and everybody was involved,” White said. “I’m really proud because we finally played a complete game with pitching, hitting and defense.”

With the split, the Huskies record improves to 3-8.