Huskies softball drops both games of doubleheader to Saints

The varsity softball team was defeated in both games of their doubleheader vs. St. Thomas Aquinas, 13-3 and 17-9.

Jonny Isaacson, Sports Editor

Heading into the third inning of the first part of their doubleheader against St. Thomas Aquinas, the Huskies trailed, 1-0. After a double from junior Shayla Edwards, senior Olivia Shin would send the ball over the fence to give the Huskies a 2-1 lead. Shin said it felt good to start the season hot.

“It just made me really excited to see different ways I can help my team. In the past I haven’t hit homeruns in my first game, so it just makes me really excited for the season,” Shin said.

The Huskies would go on to forfeit the lead, in the bottom of the third inning, allowing the Saints to put up eight runs partly due to fielding errors. Head coach Kim White said the team was able to fight through the mistakes.

“We have a young team, we knew when the season started we would have some adversity and some struggles, but what I appreciate about these kids is that they are fighting through them,” White said.

The Saints would ride their newfound lead and would take the first game, 13-3. The second game would start the same way as the first with the Saints building a big lead after three innings, 10-1. 

The Huskies would go on to outscore the Saints the rest of the game, but would ultimately end up dropping the second game, 17-9. White said her team showed resilience to avoid being mercy ruled.

“I got a lot of fighters on my team, they’ve got each other’s back, we talk a lot about being a unit and ‘we not me’ and our kids are buying into these concepts that it’s not about one person and we’ll keep fighting,” White said.

Having only one returning varsity player, White said the first game was a good opportunity to gauge her team.

“We did a lot of positive things. I think we have every reason to believe the future will be bright, at times we had five freshmen on the field at the same time,” White said. “The future is bright but I believe our now can be bright if we can put some things together.” 

Understanding her role as the only returning player, Shin said she has embraced the role of being a mentor for the younger players.

“It’s definitely been something different that I’ve had to learn and be coached through, but it’s been nothing but a positive experience and I am really excited to see how our team improves throughout the season,” Shin said.