Huskies dominate, defeat Stags 6-0

Girls varsity soccer team defeats Bishop Miege, 6-0. Sophomore Reagan Priest notched a hat trick for the Huskies.

Jonny Isaacson, Sports Editor

Blowing the game open, the Huskies went into halftime with a commanding 4-0 lead. Head coach Michelle Pothoven attributed the hot start to the team playing hard.

“Our mindset was to play hard and keep the ball. We were excited to be out here for the first time in two years,” Pothoven said.

Leading the team, sophomore Reagan Priest finished the first half with two goals of her own. Priest said it gave her a lot of confidence to start her season in a good way.

“It was really good, it gave me a lot of confidence for my first game to start like that,” Priest said.

A key component for the Huskies to build their lead was the ability to prevent Bishop Miege to get quality shots. The Stags did not have a single shot on goal in the first half, something Pothoven attributed to the team being excited to play.

“We were excited, going into the game we had two returning varsity starters, so it was exciting to see what our defense did,” Pothoven said. “We communicated better in the second half but our defense held strong for the first game.” 

Needing one goal to net her first hat trick, Priest was able to accomplish the feat with 8:47 left in the game. Priest said she wasn’t expecting to score three goals in her first game.

“My older sister happened to score a hat trick [in her first game] too, so I tried following in her footsteps,” Priest said.

After another goal from junior Alex Buehler, the Huskies would go on to defeat the Stags, 6-0. After the dominant performance, Pothoven said the team still has things they need to work on.

“We need to get louder, our communication needs to get better, we’re excited but we’re not satisfied,” Pothoven said.

The Huskies open the season 1-0 and will take on Lee’s Summit North at 1:00 p.m. Saturday, March 27 in the first round of the Bob Durig Memorial Mo-Kan challenge at St. Thomas Aquinas.