Varsity boys get their first win of the season, 3-1 over St. Thomas Aquinas

Yesterday, Sept. 17, the boys varsity soccer team won the first game of the season, leading to head coach Brian Pollack’s first win against Aquinas.

Grace Davis

Sophomore Sam McIntosh (3) and senior Ethan Hunt (11) chase the ball in the boys varsity soccer game, Sept. 17.

Megan Yates, News Editor

With his first win over STA as head coach, Brian Pollack said he knew going up against the Saints was going to be hard, so getting the win, Pollack said, felt really good. 

“It feels pretty darn incredible,” Pollack said. “They are one of those historic programs where you know every time you go up against them it’s going to be a battle and they are technical and do all the little things right, it has been a long time for any coach beating Aquinas so it feels pretty good.” 

Scoring within the first two minutes of the first half, junior Andrew Mitchell said it felt amazing to get the first goal of the season for the Huskies. 

“It feels amazing, we worked hard and took a tough loss at Rockhurst [on Sept. 15] but bounced back and beat Aquinas,” Mitchell said. 

Following Mitchell’s goal, the Huskies struggled to create opportunities for the remainder of the half and eventually let up one goal. The score at halftime was tied, 1-1. 

Pollack said the first half, despite the early goal, was overall unorganized. Pollack said that during halftime the team discussed what they needed to do in the second half to be successful.

“With the extension of the first five minutes, it was kind of a mess in the first half for us,” Pollack said. “We made adjustments at halftime and said if we commit together, communicate together and execute, it would work and they bought in and found that energy.” 

With their newfound energy, the Huskies went on to score two more goals. The first of the two was scored by sophomore Sam McIntosh with 24:05 remaining. The last goal of the night was scored shortly after, with 22:05 left, by senior Aidan Knauth. 

Mitchell attributes the win due to the Huskies being able to finish opportunities and their team communication. Mitchell said that moving forward he will continue to help his team by finishing off his chances. 

“[I am going to] just put more goals in the back of the net,” Mitchell said. 

As for Pollack, he said for the Huskies to continue to be successful they need to remember how beating STA felt and what they did well tonight.

“I think that we just have to remember how tonight feels and remember how many different people played roles in our success and if we all buy in like we did tonight, then we can play and beat anybody,” Pollack said. 

The Huskies play Blue Valley High School next Tuesday at 5 p.m. at the DAC.