NFL 101 Awards recap

The NFL 101 Awards occurred Saturday in Kansas City recognizing some of the league’s top players and coaches.

In the Kansas City Chiefs part of the 101 awards, Chairman and CEO of the Chiefs Clark Hunt speaks.

Jonny Isaacson, Sports Editor

The 101 Awards, which recognizes the top NFL players and coaches each year, occurred earlier Saturday at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. This was the 50 anniversary of the event. The players and coaches who received the awards and attended the event are as follows:

AFC Offensive Player of the Year –  Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens
NFC Offensive Player of the Year –  Michael Thomas, New Orleans Saints
AFC Defensive Player of the Year –  Stephon Gilmore, New England Patriots
NFC Defensive Player of the Year –  Chandler Jones, Arizona Cardinals*
AFC Coach of the Year – John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
NFC Coach of the Year – Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers

Additionally, the Kansas City Chiefs team awards were handed out with Mecole Hardman receiving the Mack Lee Hill Award (Rookie of the Year) and Tyrann Mathieu received the Derrick Thomas Award (Most Valuable Player).

BVNWnews was able to send two reporters to the event for the press conference. Below are the transcriptions of interviews with some of the players and coaches:

Baltimore Ravens Quarterback Lamar Jackson-

Question- What would you say was the biggest difference between this year and the last year for you?

Answer- “I actually had the whole offseason to train, I had the system to myself [and was able to] learn the system. I got with my guys earlier. We were the first group to be able to build some chemistry.”

Question- Do you ever get nervous before games?

Answer- “I wouldn’t say nervous, but I’m just anxious to get out there on the field.”

Question- Going up against the best defenses in the league, what is your preparation for that?

Answer- “Learning what they are doing, different personnel. Basically just knowing what they are going to do before they do it, so we can beat them to the punch.”

New England Patriots Cornerback Stephon Gilmore-

Question- What’s it like lining up against Tom Brady in practice?

Answer- “He’s a great pro, he’s very competitive at practice. I see him make great throws in practice so I’m not surprised each and every week he can go out there and make plays for our team.”

Question- What advise would you give to high school [Defensive Backs] that are looking to make their name at the next level?

Answer- “Just to be confident. Work on your game each and every day. Respect your opponent, but never give them too much room.”

Baltimore Ravens Coach John Harbaugh-

Question- With Joe Flacco as the starter the year before, how’d you guys change the playbook to fully maximize Lamar’s potential?

Answer- “Completely. We actually started adding some of the Lamar stuff in during Lamar’s first year when Joe was still the quarterback. Joe actually practiced a few of those plays, but once we made the full change, we just went to work. We went to the laboratory, Thomas Edison like, and completely rewrote the whole playbook.”

Question- What advise would you give to college athletes working out at the combine, looking for an NFL team to join?

Answer- “Don’t over think anything. Let everything happen in its time. The main thing is how you play. What you put on tape counts.”

*Did not attend the event