Win streak hits 11, Huskies defeat Timberwolves, 70-51

Clinging to a double digit lead since the end of the first quarter, Markell Hood led the charge with 30 points.

Lauren Kline

Junior Jack Chapman drives in for a layup in the boys varsity basketball win against Blue Valley Southwest, 70-51.

Jack Bensing, Writer

Immediatellly following the tipoff, the Huskies came out strong. Wasting no time, the Huskies would have their first points only a few seconds into the game when the opening tip allowed for an easy assist to sophomore Joey Robinson dropping in the first basket of the game. 

Head coach Ed Fritz attributed the first basket to the Huskies being on the attack from the very start. 

“I thought we were in attack mode,” Fritz said.  “It was good; it was a nice pass.”

By the time the first quarter came to a close, the Huskies had already built a double-digit lead. By the time it was halftime, the Huskies extended it to a 15 point lead.

Senior Markell Hood worked to continue this strong start for the rest of the game. In a quiet night in scoring for most of the other players, Hood was the only player to score double-digits. 

“I was getting into open spaces and just knocking down shots,” Hood said.

Although the rest of the team combined scored only 10 more points than Hood, the other parts of the team did not let up in other aspects of the game, like the ability to get assists.

“It was just my teammates, they were giving me the ball,” Hood said.

Fritz added that junior Jack Chapman, for example, did not disappoint when it came to getting people involved on offense.

“I think Jack had a few assists tonight, so I was pretty proud of that.”

According to Fritz, the Huskies will look to get more rebounds and defend shooters better in future games. 

“We’d love to rebound better,” Fritz said. “We’d love to be able to get out and close out on shooters better.”

The next boys’ varsity basketball game will come against Bishop Miege and is scheduled for this Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. at Bishop Miege.