Mason makes his BVNW debut in a blowout victory against Lincoln Prep

Junior transfer student, Alston Mason, made his highly anticipated debut during the BVNW vs. Lincoln Prep varsity boys basketball game resulting in a 71-36 win for the Huskies.

Tessa Regan, Writer

After not being able to play in the first several games for Northwest due to district transfer rules, junior Alston Mason played his first game wearing the Huskies uniform Monday night at Saint Thomas Aquinas against Lincoln Prep.

Despite all eyes on how Mason would perform going into the game, Mason said he wasn’t overwhelmed with the attention. 

“[I] didn’t feel any pressure at all,” Mason said. “I just wanted to have fun and get the win.”

With a new member on the team, head coach Ed Fritz saw an opportunity for more growth in both Mason personally and the team’s ability to perform on the court. 

Fritz was not the only person that saw Mason as a major part to the team’s victory. Junior Jack Chapman believes that Mason brings many good qualities to the team as well. 

“He brings a lot of energy [and] a lot of pressure, he is everything that we need,” Chapman said. “It is just a different intensity when he is on the court.”

On the third possession of the game, Mason grabbed a contested rebound and took it coast to coast to get the Huskies their first lead of the game, 6-4. According to Mason, his ability to create big plays had a large impact on how the team performed overall. 

“I knew to attack, give people the ball and get the dub,” Mason said.

At the end of the first quarter the Huskies led the Blue Tigers, 15-9 with Chapman having seven points for the Huskies. From then on, the Huskies lead only increased and by halftime, BVNW led Lincoln Prep by 23 points, 39-16. 

Starting off the second half, the Huskies continued to hold onto the lead. At the end of the third quarter, BVNW led Lincoln Prep, 63-28. At this point, Chapman led the Huskies with 29 points, this would be the last time Chapman scored during the game. 

At the end of the game BVNW defeated Lincoln Prep 71-36. After a successful game, Mason felt strong in how the team performed, he said.

“I think [my performance] got our team a lot of energy, which made us have a great run in the end,” Mason said.

Chapman led the Huskies with 29 points and 5 rebounds, and Mason right behind him with 17 points by the end of the game.

After a successful game, Chapman credited much of his personal success to his teammates and the plays they made to allow him to perform as well as he did.

“I think a lot of the players made a lot of good plays for me that allowed me to get to that 29,” Chapman said.

After a dominant game, Fritz still sees improvements the team needs to make before the game against BVN this Friday. 

“We gotta be able to execute in the half court a lot better, we gotta guard a lot better and rebound a lot better,” Fritz said.

The next boys varsity basketball game will come against Blue Valley North and is scheduled for this Friday at 7:30 p.m. at BVN.