Huskies drop home-opener to Lions, 54-47

The Blue Valley Northwest girls varsity basketball team was defeated by Lawrence high school, 54-47. Sophomore Brynn Grosdidier led the Huskies with 12 points.

Jonny Isaacson, Sports Editor

For much of the first half, the Blue Valley Northwest and Lawrence High girls basketball teams were neck and neck, unable to seperate themselves. Tied 20-20, the Lions would go on a 15-2 run to put them up 35-22 midway through the third quarter.

A big factor in the run would be when the Lions came out of the half deciding to press forcing Northwest to turn the ball over. Head coach Matthew Shulman said his team lost their composure when dealing with the press.

“Composure, we practice that every day and we lost our heads a little bit,” Shulman said. “We kinda got freaked out by the press and started to panic.”

Down 35-22 in the third quarter, the Huskies needed to score some points to get back in it. That scoring would come from an unlikely source as sophomore Brynn Grosdidier would score a career-high 12 points on the night. With her team trailing she was just focused on trying to get back in it.

“I assumed since we were down I had to pick up my team and get some points,” Grosdidier said.

Despite the effort from Grosdidier, the team found themselves down 39-32 going into the fourth quarter. A big reason for the deficit was the duo of senior Grace Coble and junior Megan Edwards being held to just two points heading into the final quarter. Shulman said the Lions did a good job of shutting them down.

“Lawrence did a great job of taking away Edwards, they face guarded her most of the game,” Shulman said. “Everybody has bad game’s, it’s just a matter of picking it up and getting ready for the next game against Blue Valley North.”

The Huskies would do their best to cut into the lead but would fall short losing the game, 54-47. The loss drops the Huskies record to 0-3 on the season. The team will play rival Blue Valley North Dec. 20 at 6:00 p.m. at home.