MLS star Matt Besler to visit with Husky Soccer

Sporting Kansas City defender Matt Besler will be visiting Blue Valley Northwest’s soccer program Friday afternoon.

Emma Johnson

Senior Jackson Million dribbles a ball in a game against St. Louis University, on Sept. 28.

Jonny Isaacson, Sports Editor

Heading into post-season play, Blue Valley Northwest soccer will be getting a visit from Sporting Kansas City captain Matt Besler. Besler works alongside Christina Lively, mother of C Black soccer player Tyler Lively, as the spokesperson of Blue KC Sporting Samaritans, a program that honors teachers across the KC metro area. Besler is very involved in the community, prompting him to come to Northwest, Lively said.

“Besler is really involved in the community, he likes to go and talk to students,” Lively said. “So he emailed my mom and said he had a free afternoon and offered to come talk to the soccer players.”

With their 6A substate game coming up on Tuesday, Lively said he thinks this will give the team a boost that it might need.

“I think it’ll be really inspiring to hear a professional player tell his journey about how he made it through high school soccer and give advice to the players,” Lively said. “The playoffs are coming up and it’ll give the varsity team a little more inspiration.”

Looking to play on the collegiate level, senior captain Jackson Million will look for advice from Besler in regards to choosing the right college. Besler spent four years at the university of Notre Dame, where he was named the NSCAA 2008 Senior College Men’s Scholar All-America Player of the Year.

“I’m for sure playing soccer collegiately, it’s just deciding where and I’m in the decision making process,” Million said. “I’ll definitely ask for some advice about choosing the right school for you and some steps to take in that process.”