No. 2 Huskies outslug No. 1 Tigers, 15-10

The varsity baseball team improved their 2018 record to 4-1 with a 15-10 win over Blue Valley Tuesday April 10. Senior Max Abramovich pitched 5 ⅔ innings and picked up his second win of the season.

Gabe Swartz, Editor-in-chief

Lauren Kauth
Senior Josh Fiene slides into third base during the Huskies matchup with Blue Valley at BVHS April 10. The Huskies defeated the Tigers, 15-10.

There were plenty of hits to go around Tuesday afternoon at Blue Valley High School. In a game that saw MaxPreps No. 1 and 2 ranked teams in Kansas Class 6A, it was the Huskies that came out of the gates with offensive firepower.

After loading the bases with no outs in the first inning and coming away with no runs to show for it, the Huskies put multiple runs on the board in each of the next five frames. BVNW’s offense got started with RBI singles by senior Jack Beckley, sophomore Matt Miller and senior Drew Black, which opened up a 4-1 lead for the Huskies.

In the third inning junior Sean Roseborough sent what appeared to be an innocent fly ball to left-center field. Backed by a friendly wind, Roseborough’s fly ball found its way over the fence for a 2-run home run, extending the Huskies lead to 7-1.

“Honestly I thought it was a pop fly to center field because I got under it, but it carried,” Roseborough said with a laugh. “I was running, I thought it would be a double at best, but it carried.”

With a 6-run lead on the mound, senior Max Abramovich settled in on the mound. The Huskies’ senior pitcher went 5 ⅔ innings, allowing 5 hits and 6 runs while striking out 5 Tiger hitters.

“It took awhile for me to settle in, but once I did I threw my curveball for strikes and it all just pieced together and worked out nicely,” Abramovich said.

“I thought Max did a really good job of damage control early in that game and then once we, I noticed once we got [the 7-1 lead] I think that he really settled in and got back to mixing up his pitches and pounded the zone, and that kept them off balance,” head coach Corby Lange said.

Lead by their leadoff hitter Miller, who set the tone for the day going 3-for-3 with two walks, and Roseborough’s five RBI’s, the Huskies offense put up 15 runs on 19 hits. Miller said his successful day at the plate was a product of seeing the ball well.

The Huskies win improves their record on the season to 4-1. They play their first home game of the season Thursday, April 12 at the DAC against Mill Valley.

Despite being ranked No. 2 by MaxPreps, Miller said the win shows who the real No. 1 in Kansas Class 6A is.

“This is no surprise,” Miller said. “We’re first and we’re going to stay here.”