Huskies overpower Mustangs, 3-1, in season opener

The Huskies offense was able to put together three goals in their opener against rival Blue Valley North on Aug. 25.

Gabe Swartz

Ben Brown, Sports Editor

In celebration, senior Jacob Hall did a back flip in front of the Blue Valley North student section after scoring on a cross to give BVNW a 1-0 lead with 26:33 remaining in the first half. BVNW continued the momentum adding two more goals in the second half to solidify a 3-1 victory over the Mustangs.

Senior goalie Neil Schell kept a clean slate, not allowing any goals while he was on the field. Schell said the five-man defensive unit did their job tonight.

“We had five in the back,” Schell said. “The wides did really well and our center backs pretty much cleared everything that needed to be done, so overall we did really well.”

Senior captain and defender, Blake Perott, not only contributed on the defensive side, but also helped power the offense. After a foul in the box by a BVN defender, Perott stepped up and buried the ball in the back of the net off of a penalty kick with 23:29 remaining. Perott said contributing a goal felt great and said he was impressed with the play of the Huskies’ defense.

“We were playing a new formation, so there was a lot of communication that need to be had, but I think we did pretty well,” Perott said.

As time passed in the second half and a BVNW victory became more apparent, junior Carson Brown placed the ball in the upper corner of the goal from a shot at the top of the box to give the Huskies their third and final goal of the night. Brown said after the performance he saw tonight, the team has potential to do great things this season.

“The ceiling is pretty high,” Brown said. “We can always do better. That game, we let in a goal, so that’s where we can start first and then keep getting the goals.”

Although the adrenaline of the players was high at the start, Schell said the team was able to settle down as the game progressed.

“We definitely have a lot to improve on,” Schell said. “The first 20 minutes of course is pretty crazy, but after that we really slowed down, controlled the ball and passed on the ground, so that was really impressive for us. We’re really hoping that the sky is the limit at this point.”

After this victory against BVN, the Huskies will play their first game of the FAT CAT Tournament on Aug. 29 at Blue Valley West in hopes to extend their winning record.