Boys basketball defeated by SMN in state semifinal game

The boys varsity basketball team lost to Shawnee Mission North High School 42-54 in the State semifinal game. They will take on Lawrence High School in the championship game tomorrow, competing for third place in the state.

Natasha Vyhovsky, Editor-in-Chief

BVNW lost to Shawnee Mission North tonight in the state semifinal basketball game, 42-54, at the Charles Koch Arena in Wichita. BVNW will compete for third place in the state tomorrow against Lawrence High School in the championship game at 2:00 p.m.

BVNW’s record is currently sitting at 19-6 heading into tomorrow’s game.

The team started off the game on the board first after a layup by Darien Jackson. After a series of points scored by Jackson, Joe Pleasant and Jackson Heath, BVNW went into the second quarter tied with SMN, 9-9.

At the end of the first half, BVNW was three points up after starting off the second quarter with two consecutive layups by Joe and AJ Pleasant.

By the end of the third quarter, BVNW had fallen behind and sat 31-43.

“We had a game plan against these guys,” head coach Ed Fritz said. “We wanted to try to slow them down a little because they are really athletic and really quick. We did a pretty good job the first half of doing it…and then we just really had a lot of trouble scoring the second half.”

Fritz said a lot of the team’s trouble in the second half was credited to the skill of the SMN team; he also said BVNW missed a lot of shots and had trouble scoring, specifically at a spot about five minutes into the third quarter, which is what set the team back.

“Usually the strength is we have a bunch of guys that can contribute and score,” Fritz said, “and today, with the exception of Joe Pleasant, we didn’t get much scoring out of anybody else, so that kind of hurt us.”

Six out of the last seven years the team has been in the state tournament, and the five previous years before this one, they played in the championship game. The last time they played for the third place title was thirteen years ago.

“It’s a great way to end the season on a win, so I think for our guys – they’re pretty disappointed right now – I think it’s a great way to feel better about themselves.”

Fritz said a win against Lawrence High School tomorrow would help the team rebound in morale after their loss tonight.

Junior Darien Jackson said that although the Huskies do not have previous experience playing the team they will face tomorrow, the goal is to improve defense and end the season with a win.

“We just have to get over the game we lost just now,” Jackson said. “It’s a new day.”