Girls varsity basketball defeats BVN 49-32

The girls varsity basketball team defeated Blue Valley North at BVNW with a final score of 49-32.

Brandon Fagen, Staff Writer

The girls varsity basketball team defeated Blue Valley North last night at BVNW. The Huskies gained a lead in the second quarter and kept it until the end. The final score was 49-32.

At the end of the first quarter the score was tied 7-7, and then the game turned in favor of BVNW. Head coach Brian Bubalo said the team had a good combination of players during the second quarter, and it payed off. By halftime, BVNW was in the lead with a score of 23-15.

“We hit several [three point shots], and [our success] was because of good teamwork and good passing,” Bubalo said. “We just had a combination that got hot so we stayed with them and they got us a lead, sometimes that’s how it works.”

According to sophomore Evan Bail, the team performed well at three point shots offense and defense.

“They were making things happen, which was good,” Bail said.

Bubalo said another reason he believes the team did well in this game was because they were playing on their home court, instead of away at another school’s gym.

“It was nice to be at home,” Bubalo said. “We have been at a tournament and we didn’t shoot real well down there. It was nice to be at home.”

Bubalo said this is the third game in a row that BVNW has beat BVN, two of those defeats taking place last year. He said beating BVN was helpful in moving them up in the EKL.

“It’s a big step in the right direction for us,” Bubalo said. “We are eight [wins] and four [losses]. That puts us in a little better position in the conference in substate. I think this is a game we can build on…as a stepping stone to a good second half of the season.”