Varsity softball defeats Pittsburg in double header

Madison Graves, Business Manager

The varsity softball team played a double header against Pittsburg High School Tuesday night. The team won the first game 8-0 and the second 11-1. The second game ended in the fifth inning when the team was up 10 runs. Head coach Kim White said the team’s success can be attributed to their ability to play together.

“When [the players] came in they said ‘Let’s get it done,’” White said. “They had a positive attitude, they worked hard and they worked together. I found through many years of coaching that when you work together and you support one another…good things happen.”

In the first inning, Pittsburg took the lead with one run, but BVNW caught up in the third inning when the team scored five runs. Senior Alyvia Simmons said the team’s energy was a big factor to their turnaround in the third inning.

“When we came in [we] realized we didn’t have enough energy in the dugout,” Simmons said. “I think we, as a team, came through and really sparked the energy to help the runs keep coming in.”

The Huskies were able to score four more runs in the fourth inning and two in the fifth, ending the game 11-1.

Simmons also said much of the team’s success was because of its support.

“[We realized] we needed to play more as a team and less as individuals,” Simmons said. “I’d say mental toughness [was our biggest strength], just knowing that if you made an error, your other teammates had your back.”

White attributed BVNW’s enduring lead to their ability to simply keep pushing through obstacles. She said even when the players made mistakes, they were able to pick it up again and keep playing.

“[The players] kept coming back, and we hit the ball hard,” White said. “What I’m finding is that this team has no quit. They’re not worried about the score. They got down 1-0, and they didn’t sulk, they didn’t hang their heads, [they said] ‘We still got this.’”