Girls soccer celebrates annual Pink Out Game

Sarah Hirsch, Online Editor

The varsity girls soccer team tied, 2-2, with Blue Valley West (BVW) while decked out in pink for their annual Pink-Out game. Approximately $250 were raised to help spread breast cancer awareness through the use of a raffle held during the game.

“I think we definitely got a bigger crowd and a lot of the boys that were here kind of affected our mental game,” junior Cece Kizer said. “It was nice to see everyone in pink both in the stands and on the field.”

After several missed shots by the Huskies, Kizer scored with 20 minutes left in the game. BVNW slipped into the lead 1-0.

“I think [BVW] had a lot of revenge coming into the game because we beat them pretty bad last year,” Kizer said. “I think that [goal] got them pretty pumped up, whereas we just kind of got comfortable with the goal.”

Sure enough, two minutes later BVW freshman Shelby Lierz scored a goal, effectively tying the game 1-1. Head coach Rick Pribyl said the game was pretty much decided in the first half, which kept the score 1-1 at the end.

The second half kicked off quickly with Lierz scoring again just 40 seconds in, bringing BVW into the lead 2-1.Senior Kala Brundige tied up the game again with a goal just a minute and a half later, 2-2.

At the end of the normal regulation, the teams remained tied. The game went into overtime, which is when Pribyl said the pressure really started to kick in.

“Overtime is always exciting,” Pribyl said. “We tried to strike at the other team at one place and put them on their toes.”

However, the game remained tied 2-2 at the end of the first overtime period.

“All of us were physically drained from playing so long already,” Kizer said. “I think we just wanted to come out and score those two goals, and we had a lot of power, but we just couldn’t put the ball in the net.”

No goals were made during the second overtime period. The game ended in a tie, 2-2.

“Give credit to Blue Valley West, they have a very good team,” Pribyl said. “Their defense stopped our offense, and we have a very strong offense so that’s just the way it goes. We need to keep learning to perfect and keep honing so we’re more consistent. We’ll be fine.”