BVNW football celebrates two Kansas Scholar Athletes

Liz Kuhlmann, Sports Editor

The Greater Kansas City Football Coaches Association (GKCFCA) has chosen to honor 11 football players in the KC Metro area with the Kansas Scholar Athlete award, and BVNW recognizes two members of it’s football team on the list. Seniors Kyle Styve and Kyle Harrison will be recognized at a banquet and presented with a $1,000 scholarship for their impressive athletic and academic stances.

In order to be honored with the scholarship, coaches must nominate people they believe have a chance to be honored. Those nominated must submit an essay as to what they plan on doing beyond high school, and their principal and head coach must submit a recommendation and transcripts. The FKCFCA board assures that each athlete has specific honors related to their sport; in short, those recognized must have made a significant impact on their designated team. Next, the board checks out how each athlete is doing academically by looking at ACT/SAT scores, GPA and class rank.

“It’s a process,” head football coach Mike Zegunis said. “It’s not like they just got it. They had to work for it. I had known they would both have a good shot so I asked them to go through the process. These two guys had all league honors, and Kyle Harrison actually had state honors, they both qualified because of their play on the football field. Kyle Styve of course was off the charts with his athletics. Unbelievable student. So both of them qualified because they were superstars on the field as well as in class.”

harrison

Both Harrison and Styve were very excited upon hearing they had been honored, especially given the money will help them pay for college. Styve said he has applied to Stanford University and will find out if he has been accepted or not in April. However, should that plan not work out, Styve wants to attend the University of Illinois. Harrison on the other hand is currently undecided, but is considering offers from multiple schools to play basketball.

“I think it was the awards I have from football and being dedicated to both school work and football,” Styve said. “Dedicating the time and effot to doing them both and doing them both well.”

Zegunis said he was incredibly proud to have two members of his team honored, and believes they both do a great job representing the BVNW football program.

“I was really glad they were selected,” head football coach Mike Zegunis said. “I was impressed. I’m really proud of those athletes who can juggle not only the athletics but the academics too.”