Football defeats Olathe East

The football team defeated Olathe East in the second game of districts, 31-21.

Ankit Kadakia, Copy Editor

The boys varsity football team defeated Olathe East High School 31-21 on Oct. 25.

With 10:00 left in the first quarter, OE scored the first touchdown of the night, making the score 0-7. Junior Miles Alexander then scored a touchdown for BVNW with 3:18 left in the first quarter, tying the score 7-7. At the end of the quarter, the score remained tied. At the start of the second quarter BVNW scored a touchdown leading OE 14-7. BVNW took possession of the ball from OE and Bryan Gish scored a field goal making the score 17-7. The game remained 17-7 at halftime.

During halftime, OE’s marching band performed. At the start of the third quarter, senior Jacob Rominger scored a touchdown for BVNW, making the score 24-7. The score remained 24-7 at the end of the quarter. OE scored the first touchdown of the fourth quarter with 5:50 remaining, bringing the score to 24-14. BVNW responded moments later with 5:38 left in the game when senior Jaquwan Stone scored a touchdown, making the score 31 – 14. Then with 3:08 left in the fourth quarter, OE scored a touchdown making the score 31-21, which was the final score.

According to center Kyle Styve, the team knew the game was going to be a tough battle, but had high expectations for how it would turn out. Styve said highlights from the game include Stone’s and  Alexander’s touchdowns.

“Now that we’ve won, we’ve pretty much secured a spot in the district championship,” Styve said. “We need to work on keeping focus and not getting so many penalties. I have pretty high expectations for the rest of the season.”

Head coach Mike Zegunis said the game was a really big win for the team and a lot was on the line tonight. The team is one step closer to playing in the playoffs. If they win the game next week, they are guaranteed a spot, he said.

“We got a good win tonight and I am really happy for our kids,” Zegunis said. “It’s always nice when things work out the way you want them to work out.”