Girls varsity soccer climbs to State semifinals

Girls+varsity+soccer+climbs+to+State+semifinals++

The Huskies’ girls varsity soccer team defeated Olathe East with a final score of 4-3 on Tuesday night.

Starting off to a slow start, the Huskies trailed one goal behind OEHS 30 min. into the first half. But as the girls began to play more offensively, they picked up speed, scoring two consecutive goals, made by sophomores Cierra Bryant and CeCe Kizer. Just as the Hawks tied the score again, senior Emily Herndon shot a header to goal, with the assist made by junior Kala Brundige, regaining the Husky lead, 3-2 by the end of the first half.

“We were a little rough in the first half, but we picked it up during the second half and we finished our shots really well and just played together well,” Brundige said. “There was very high intensity, high defense, and definitely high pressure.”

The girls maintained their momentum, but it was matched by the OEHS girls’ energy. The teams remained tied 3-3 after a Hawk goal through the second half.  With only 1 min. left in the game, Herndon scored her second goal, leaving the Huskies with their final score, 4-3.

“They never gave up,” assistant coach Elizabeth O’Brien said. “They only had three seniors playing tonight, so they stepped up and were great leaders during the game. We take every game one at a time and we’ll be focusing on Friday. We’d love to bring home a state championship, but we have a semifinal game we have to put away first.”

The girls will continue to compete in the state semifinal game this Friday in Wichita.