Sophomore Stars

Sophomore+Stars

As the ball soars into the back of the net, all eyes are on the scorer; which on this year’s girls varsity soccer team, there is a high possibility she is a sophomore. Composing half the varsity team, this year’s sophomore girls can play with upper classmen.

Sophomores Kenzi Taylor, Karley Kucera and Linda Fiorito all made varsity as freshmen, and are joined by sophomores Cierra Bryant, Cece Kizer, Lauren Reeder, Sophie Conner, Katie Sullivan and Kaleigh Ashen. Reeder has been playing since she was three years old, and is excited to be on varsity as a sophomore.

“[Playing varisty] is really cool, and I never thought I would be able to, but it’s been fun,” Reeder said. “I love the girls and everyone.”

Head coach Rick Pribyl has been coaching at BVNW since it opened. This will be his 40th season here.

“[The sophomores] bring new energy to the team,” Pribyl said. “It’s good to have competition within the team. With limited positions, they push everyone else. They also bring a great sense of humor. Laughter is important for us.”

Taylor said she is excited to be on varsity again and said having so many sophomores on varsity is a neat thing.

“We have all been playing with each other since we were in kindergarten and are all good enough friends and play well together,” Taylor said.

Sophomore Sarah Fugate is on the JV team and acknowledges the sophomores’ dominance.

“A lot of [the sophomore varsity players] play on really high level club teams, so they are really experienced with high level soccer,” Fugate said. “They bring more competition and experience.”

Five of the sophomore girls play on the Sporting Blue Valley team under head coach Huw Williams when they are not in school season. Reeder and Taylor said it get them ready for the school season.

“Club season really prepares you [for the school season],” Reeder said. “I’ve been playing year round. Travelling and practicing three times a week just really gets you ready. “

Both Taylor and Reeder said they are excited to travel and play in the Saint Joseph Invitational in St. Louis  and compete for a state title.

“It is a good feeling when you work hard everyday and knowing that you’re getting somewhere with it and getting better everyday,” Taylor said. “I’ve learned that you can depend on other people to help everyone else accomplish our goals.”