Fall Sports Wrap-Up

Cross-Country

Despite a stacked regional, the boy’s cross-country team was able to send two boys to state; juniors Sam Guinn and Andrew Shaughnessey. The girl’s team finished third at regionals, which allowed the entire team to compete at state.

Head coach Matthew LeCount said he knew Guinn was ready to preform at state, and was not surprised when Guinn placed second. On the girl’s side, LeCount said he was not as sure about the outcome. LeCount said there were many underclassmen racing who had run the course only once. However, LeCount said he could not have been more proud of the performance.

“One of the unique strengths of the squad was they understood that they had the experience and what they had to do to race,” LeCount said. “I think that carried over to meets, we had fun in practice but we worked hard. I feel like we did a really good job of keeping it relaxed and keeping it light but still taking a serious approach to prepare themselves.”

Guinn said he was proud of the team’s performance, and believes the team did well this season. There was definite improvement in the team from the beginning of the season to the end, Guinn said.

“I’m incredibly proud of my performance at state,” Guinn said. “Although I didn’t get the win which was my goal for this season, I left with total peace of mind that I left everything out there and gave it everything I had.”

LeCount said he believes his first year as head coach went well. Though the work load tripled, LeCount said he learned to enjoy it. He said his assistant coaches stepped up when he needed them too which made the season a great experience.

“I’m proud of the kids,” LeCount said. “I love working with the school. It’s something I have dreamed of doing for a long time. As I start to reflect on the season I feel really good about the direction the program is going. I’m very optimistic.”

Golf

The girl’s golf team finished third at the regional tournament, which allowed the entire team to go to state. The team finished ninth in Kan. at state to end their season.

Senior Ashley Rossin said it was an honor to lead a team to state. Rossin said despite struggling earlier in the season due to back problems, finishing the season at state was the perfect way to end her senior season.

“[Being the only senior on varsity] was kind of poetic justice,” Rossin said. “I started as the only freshman and ended as the only senior. I got to grow so much closer to the underclassmen.”

Head coach Matt Christensen said BVNW plays in a very tough golf region. With a very young team, Christensen said they have the opportunity to go back and play at state in the next couple years. Christensen said his goal for next season is to continue to grow as a team and get better, and he hopes that will lead to returning to state.

“I don’t have a lot of regrets or concerns,” Christensen said. “We worked really hard throughout the season we tried really hard to win, that’s what we like to do. We made some goals at the start of the season and we were able to accomplish a lot of those. Some things like being competitive at every tournament, improve our game each day and we had a couple of things that we wanted to do as individuals.”

Rossin said the most memorable part of the season for her was Christensen’s encouragement. Rossin recalls being one of the first players to tee-off at state, and being really nervous before she went on. Christensen comforted her, Rossin said, and he inspired her constantly throughout the season.

Rossin said her advice to next year’s team is to power through. The team always has a lot going on in their lives outside of golf, but Rossin said to forget it all and just focus because it does not matter on the course.

“You have to make it your home,” Rossin said. “You have to be able to be one hundred percent yourself when you’re golfing. You have to trust yourself and believe in yourself. It’s one thing I always said at tournaments, to make it your home. When you’re home, you’re safe so you can be happy.”

Volleyball

The girl’s varsity volleyball team finished the season accomplishing their set goals, however head coach Molly Haggerty said losing during sub-state was a difficult way to end the season.

Haggerty said the team played Wyandotte High School and won in two games, and then played BVH. While coming out strong in the first game, Haggerty said the team lacked energy in the second game and were unable to win. BVH went on to take second at state.

“That was really disappointing,” Haggery said. “I think we all thought we had a chance to go to state this year. The girls really wanted it and we all believed we could do it.”

Senior Jenna Miller said the team had their ups and downs throughout the season but always played hard. Miller said she did not have any regrets from the season, but will miss both the bond with the team she has and playing the sport.

“Next year’s team should enjoy every part of it,” Miller said. “Some practices are rough and you hate it afterwards, but in the end it’s those practices you remember as good times not bad.”

Tennis

This past season the girl’s tennis team finished fourth at state and had teams win both regional and EKL tournaments. Head coach Ted Fabiano said these finishes were the best the program has seen in a long time.

Fabiano credits a good season to the amount of experience the team had. The goal of the top doubles team was to make it to the final at state although they fell short in the semifinal match. The two doubles teams sent placed third and seventh at the tournament.

Senior Jennifer Lowe was one of the players on the team that finished third at state. Lowe said she was proud of third place even though they did not play in the finals. However, Lowe said she had no regrets and hopes to walk onto a team in college.

“I’ll miss the girls on the team and practices,” Lowe said. “Next years team needs to work really hard in the off season and give everyday that [they are] out there the intensity and dedication to win.”