Varsity boys soccer team takes the victory against Gardner Edgerton

The varsity boys soccer team defeated Gardner Edgerton 4-0 Monday night. With 13 wins already under their belts, senior team captain Kyle Young said the boys viewed this game as an opportunity to have fun and bring in another victory.

“It felt great,” Young said. “We have four different players that scored and it was overall a good game for the guys.  It was absolutely so much fun to play in. It felt good to come out here, get a victory and clench EKL title.”

Young set the tone for the night by scoring the Huskies’ first goal. Following Young’s lead, senior LJ Riehl shot a second goal with 15 min. remaining in the first half.

After a penalty called on Gardner Edgerton, senior Christian Kingeter shot the penalty kick 5 min. into the second half, pulling the Huskies further ahead with a score of 2-0.

“[During the penalty kick] I was thinking, ‘Shoot, it’s time to shine baby,’ and just how I should shoot it,” Kingeter said. “And it worked.”

Junior Blake Levine finished the game with BVNW’s last goal, leaving the Huskies with another victory. Overall, Young said the team felt good about their performance on the field and look forward to upcoming competition this season.

“For the future, we will just take it one game at a time and hope for a victory next week to get ranked first in the state,” Young said. “We just need to keep up a good attitude and to come out here and put away Shawnee Mission East this Friday.”