The benefit sports provide

The Huskies run onto the field in the game against Harrisonville on Sept. 7 at the DAC. The Huskies were defeated by the Wildcats, 29-24. (Photo by Emily Farthing).

Emily Farthing

Emily Farthing

Ben Hobbs, Staff Writer

As a high school athlete who participates in football and wrestling, playing sports and being part of team environments makes me a better person as a whole. While many factors come into playing sports, I’ve learned accountability, mental toughness and cooperation skills that’ve helped shape my character into the best it can be.

In football, we have to know our plays perfectly, so that everything will run smoothly on the field. We need to watch game film and look at the playbook to make sure we know where to be and how to execute. This creates a culture of accountability, because if someone doesn’t know what to do, then the play falls through.

As an offensive lineman who’s smaller than the average size, I need to be able to handle challenges. At my position, I often face opponents larger than me. This creates physical toughness within me, but more importantly, mental toughness. I have to be able to face every play with confidence, no matter the outcome.

Playing on a team allows teammates to hold each other accountable and support one another in the good and bad times, which helps in handling difficult social situations. Also, according to a study from the National Library of Medicine with 60 participants, those who participated in sports showed much higher leadership traits than those who didn’t. Regardless of how people tackle stressful situations, the family environment created within a team as well as the leadership developed through organized sports strengthens this quality exponentially.

The family aspect of a team is also something that will carry players through life. My dad played football at Lehigh University, and frequently says his offensive line teammates are his best friends to this day. Whenever he’s on the phone with any of them, I can see how happy he is to speak with them. He always talks about how he never regretted not being in a fraternity, because he had his own through football.

Coming from Ascension Catholic School and having the summer to meet my football teammates before the start of my freshman year at BVNW, I had the opportunity to get to know people and create relationships. I didn’t realize this at the time, but it provided me with friends I still have today, whom I admire and appreciate.

The balance required between sports and academics is another test to building character. Getting used to the time management between athletics and academics prepares student athletes for the coming years of life. In college, the structure is a lot more lenient, which is a change from the rigid high school environment. Playing sports allows players to manage their time well to get everything done, which will benefit them in the future.

Regardless of talent or athleticism, even just participating in sports creates something to do, benefiting players in more ways than not. Next time the opportunity presents itself, join a team because it may be the best decision of your life.