Making the grade

Ayesha Vishnani, Writer

As the final word of the question was uttered, the sound of reverberating applause suddenly engulfed the theater. For many of the students, it was a moment of unison; it was a moment of protest. It was an embodiment of the sentiments that put “us” against “them.” Unbeknownst to the guests on stage, something profound had just occurred, and it wouldn’t be forgotten, not so quickly.

Last Thursday, there was a Q & A session with Baker University professors on the topic of academic integrity for juniors and seniors in the Little Theater. The students asked questions in regard to the consequences of academic dishonesty in college and the professors answered. However, what seemed to be an attempt by the administration to remind the student body in a subtle—yet not so subtle—manner that this trend of cheating would have serious repercussions on them in the future suddenly became something else.

Students began asking questions centered on the idea of ‘If academic dishonesty is so terrible, then why are students pressured to bring home a certain grade rather than experience and knowledge?’ Although on the stage sat professors from Baker, the real stage lay below with the students who were determined to voice what they had been suppressing for so long–no matter what it took. For some faculty members it was an unnecessary attack and justification of immoral behavior. Little did they realize this was not a question of whether academic honesty was ethical—no, surprisingly we aren’t that brainless—but more so a challenge to the system that is comprised of contradictions.

We are taught that it is far more important to learn the material, yet we are told that without a certain letter on a piece of paper, we can’t achieve our college dreams.

We are taught that school is where we can create a unique identity for ourselves, yet we’re judged by how well we can fill in the bubbles of a Scantron with a number two pencil.

We are taught that high school is where we become prepared for life, but what is the purpose of life when learning is no longer about the pure joy of knowing and appreciating knowledge, but rather how effortlessly we can boost the digits of a GPA?

Of course, grades, standardized tests and GPAs are inevitable and essential. But the massive significance given to mere numerical values is not. I’m sure everyone’s heard the whole “Your test scores don’t define you.” Unfortunately, the truth is they do. But that should not be sufficient justification for a rejection letter arriving in your mailbox.

The truth is, 10 years from now when you’re nervously waiting for your boss to tell you if you’re getting that promotion you desperately need, it won’t be based on how many AP classes you were able to sacrifice your sleep for or how fabulous of a test taker you were, it will be about what you learned. That’s right. It will be about the knowledge that you will take with you that will play a role in that promotion that could change your life.

As for academic dishonesty?

If we simply taught our students to learn for the sake of learning, then the sheer idea of cheating would not be a matter to devote time to. Nor would it be a matter of ringing applause and shaken teachers. Before automatically assuming who the wrong are, make sure they aren’t actually the ones being wronged.