Athletic director Steve Harms inducted into BVNW Hall of Fame

The BVNW Hall of Fame was established in 1995 to recognize exemplary athletes and coaches. Athletic director Steve Harms received this honor during the boys varsity basketball game on Friday.

Xiqing Wang, Staff Writer

Athletic director Steve Harms was inducted into the BVNW Hall of Fame Friday during the boys varsity basketball game against Blue Valley West. Harms is the 14th individual to receive this honor.

The BVNW Hall of Fame was established by wrestling coach Tim Serbousek, tennis coach Ted Fabiano, soccer coach Rick Pribyl and athletic director Steve Harms in 1995.

Serbousek said the Hall of Fame was created to recognize coaches and participants in athletic events who achieve a higher excellence than most in their particular field.

Harms is normally a part of the process of choosing the inductee into the Hall of Fame, but this time, news of his own induction did not reach him until the moment it was announced. Harms said he was shocked and honored when he was inducted.

“I don’t know about a more special honor that Northwest could do for me,” Harms said. “I take a lot of pride in the names up there and the traditions we’ve started, so I’m very honored to be up there.”

Harms said induction into the Hall of Fame was special for him because he was a part of its creation.

“To be able to be a part of creating [the BVNW Hall of Fame], to be able to induct all the people up there and to now join them is very humbling,” Harms said.

Former BVNW student Laura Boyer was inducted into the Hall of Fame for her excellence in soccer. Boyer said Harms was the athletic director when she was in high school. She said Harms has been an essential part of BVNW for many years and will leave a legacy at the school, meriting him induction into the Hall of Fame.

“Mr. Harms is Blue Valley Northwest,” Boyer said. “He’s been here since the school started, and I can’t think of anyone who’s done more for the school and the athletic program than him, so he’s probably the most deserving person to be in the hall of fame. He actually started the Hall of Fame, too, so I think it’s fitting that his plaque is now up on the wall.”

Senior Michala Sliefert said she has known Harms since her freshman year, when she began her volleyball career at BVNW. She said Harms would always talk to her after games and around the school to either congratulate her on her team’s successes or to ask if there was anything he could do to help the team. She said Harms encouraged her to branch out and become more involved in this school.

Sliefert said Harms is also very competitive and will do whatever he is able to do for athletes. Not only is Harms supportive of athletes and coaches, Sliefert said, but he is also willing to help students who do not participate in athletics.

“He’s very willing to do what he can for the students,” Sliefert said. “Ever since he became athletic director, he was the one that helped pick out new coaches and helped build the confidence of each of the sports teams. There’s no way we would be where we are without him.”

Harms said although he is retiring from his position as athletic director after this school year, he hope athletics continues being a valuable part of the educational experience at BVNW. He said he is thankful to have been a part of such a close community of athletes and coaches.

“I just want to thank the community at Blue Valley Northwest,” Harms said. “It’s been very special to me. It’s almost been like my second family, and I hope it continues that way.”