Presidential profiles

We selected ten declared presidential candidates that are leading in the election polls to profile. Read about their stances on key issues and more about their campaign. For more information on each candidate, click on their name in the paragraph.

Brandon Fagen, Staff Writer

Republican candidates:

Jeb Bush

(Los Angeles Times/TNS)
(Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Son of former president George W. Bush and former governor of Florida Jeb Bush is a Republican candidate running under the campaign slogan “All in for Jeb.” He has very specific goals, for example, he plans for a 4 percent economic growth and 19 million new jobs. He also wants to raise standards for education by raising standards for the Common Core curriculum.

Ben Carson

(Los Angeles Times/TNS)
(Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Former journalist, surgeon and philanthropist Ben Carson is a candidate for the Republican Party with the campaign slogan “Heal, inspire, revive.” He plans to make balanced budget amendments, improve tax codes, put more focus on education and keep religion in society. He is also strongly against abortion. He believes school curriculum should be a local decision versus federal and Common Core should be overturned.

Ted Cruz

(Abaca Press/TNS)
(Abaca Press/TNS)

U.S. Senator from Texas Ted Cruz is running with the Republican Party with the campaign slogan “Reigniting the promise of America.” He plans to fight for limited government, economic growth and the U.S. Constitution. He has spent a lot of time defending constitutional rights in court cases. One thing he advocates for that would directly affect students at BVNW is the end of the Common Core curriculum.

Carly Fiorina

(Los Angeles Times/TNS)
(Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Former CEO and non-profit organization leader Carly Fiorina is a republican candidate with a campaign slogan of “New possibilities, real leadership.” She is an experienced business leader and believes in unlocking human potential and holding the government accountable for what it does. She is also a big advocate for income equality and says other candidates, like Hillary Clinton, are doing nothing to solve this problem.

Marco Rubio

(Orlando Sentinel/TNS)
(Orlando Sentinel/TNS)

Florida senator Marco Rubio is a republican candidate with the campaign slogan “A new American century.” One thing he stresses he will do during his presidency is build a safe, stronger America, with a goal to restore the American Dream. Rubio also stresses the importance of education, along with the importance of eliminating the country’s debt. He believes that America’s strength is a means of preventing war and that promoting it is a mistake.

Donald Trump

(Chicago Tribune/TNS
(Chicago Tribune/TNS

Chairman and president of the Trump Organization Donald Trump is a Republican running under the slogan “Make America great again.” Currently, he is the leading candidate from the Republican Party in the polls. Some goals he has as president are to build a wall between Mexico and America using funds Mexico provides and to make concealed carry a right rather than a privilege.

Democratic candidates

Hillary Clinton

(Abaca Press/TNS)
(Abaca Press/TNS)

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is running with the Democratic Party under the campaign slogan “Hillary for America.” Some objectives she wishes to achieve during her presidency involve LGBT equality, women’s rights, clean energy solutions, prison reform and reform on third-party campaign donors in politics. Clinton’s goals also include raising middle class incomes and giving immigrants access to “full and equal citizenship.”

Martin O’Malley

(Los Angeles Times/TNS)
(Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Former Governor of Maryland Martin O’Malley is running with the Democratic Party under the campaign slogan “Rebuild the American Dream.” His visions for the country under his leadership include criminal justice reform, with a goal to “build trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve.” He stands for equal pay in the workforce, and he wants to fight for better wages for all Americans by raising the minimum wage to $15. He wants to restore investments in public education, freeze public tuition rates and offer refinancing for student loans.

Bernie Sanders

(Abaca Press/TNS)
(Abaca Press/TNS)

U.S. Senator from Virginia Bernie Sanders is running with the Democratic Party and calls himself a “democratic socialist.” He is running under the campaign slogan, “Feel the Bern.” Sanders claims he agrees with the Iran Deal in an effort to avoid war in general. His campaign also includes his goal to invest $1 trillion in projects in order to create jobs. He stands for women’s rights – including equal pay and reproductive rights.

Jim Webb

(Andrew SHurtleff/TNS)
(Andrew SHurtleff/TNS)

Former senator of Virginia and former Marine Jim Webb is a democrat running with the slogan “Leadership you can trust.” He is an advocate for economic fairness and wants to reform the relationship between the legislative and executive branches. He also wants to reestablish a transparent and functioning government for the country.

To find out which candidate best matches your views, take a quiz here.