Howlin’ Husky marching band takes Superior

The BVNW Howlin’ Husky marching band took Superior at the Central State Marching Festival on Saturday night.

Cameron Hamm, Writer

The BVNW Howlin’ Husky marching band achieved the Superior rating at the Central State Marching Festival in Bill Synder stadium, Manhattan on Saturday. Over 40 bands were rated on their performance, and the Superior rating is the highest rating a marching band can earn. For senior Lily Bredemeier, the festival was a thrilling way to end her marching career.

Bredemeier, who has played the trumpet in the band and marched all four years of high school, said there was a focus on performing well after a lackluster showing in Lee’s Summit  on October 11.

“I think [the Lee’s Summit competition] was a good motivator for this week,” Bredemeier said. “[It made] us go out there and work hard, because we all wanted a Superior rating. And so for my senior year, to receive that, it’s obviously something I’m proud to walk away knowing I accomplished that.”

Band director John Selzer said the band’s expectation for the marching festival consists of earning the Superior rating. He said the band’s reputation and the level they play at lends themselves to that expectation.

However, Selzer said the focus before the trip was not centered on the rating, but the goals set during band camp before the marching season begins.

“The goals that [we made are to] learn, make friends, have fun,” Selzer said. “The learning happens in the preparation. The making friends happens from the first day of band camp to the last day of marching season. And having fun is certainly what going on a trip to Manhattan is about. It’s set up for kids to have a good time, and we did.”

Bredemeier said the Central State Marching Festival meant something unique to her this year. The huge stadium setting and the fact that this was Bredemeier’s last competition made the experience unique compared to previous years.

“I knew this is the last one I’ll get to do,” Bredemeier said. “And it’s a big deal to do it, especially in Bill Snyder’s stadium, it’s one of the bigger places we perform in. It’s a different atmosphere.”

Bredemeier concluded that the band competition was an anxious, but ultimately exciting and satisfying way to end the marching season because of the result of her hard work.

“I wanted to give it my best, especially for the band as a whole,” Bredemeier said. “I wanted to do it for everybody, not just myself. It’s definitely nerve racking, you get out there and you’re just on this big stage, but it was really exciting and I’m really glad we had the outcome that we did.”