Paraprofessional Damon Brooks leaves BVNW

Madison Graves, Business Manager

Special education paraprofessional Damon Brooks will be leaving BVNW today after eight years of working with students. According to Brooks, he got an opportunity to be around sports, something he loves, and will be teaching basketball to students from third to twelfth grade at the old Kansas City Field House.

“I’m looking forward to doing something that I’m passionate about,” Brooks said. “They always say when you’re doing something you love, it’s not work. I don’t plan on working; I plan on doing something that I love.”

Special education para Sally Rice said she has known Brooks as long as he has been at BVNW, and has worked with him a lot. She said she’s sad to see him go, but knows he is doing what he loves.

“It’ll affect a lot of kids,” Rice said. “But his next move is good for him, so that’s the good part. It’s getting back into the sports field and that’s what he likes to do.”

Cathy Rapp, who joined the department around the same time Brooks did eight years ago, said he is a wonderful friend and the department is going to miss him, though he is going to something he can look forward to.

“The students already know that he’s leaving and I don’t think they’re really happy about it,” Rapp said. “I think it’ll affect us in that everyone looks forward to seeing Mr. Brooks everyday because he is such an enthusiastic and fun person to work with.”