39 seniors named as Kansas Honors Scholars

BVNW seniors in the top 10 percent of their class were given the accolade of Kansas Honors Scholars.

Claudia Chen, Social Media Manager

This Wednesday, 39 members of the Class of 2015 were named Kansas Honor Scholars. This award recognizes the top 10 percent of the senior class each year and is calculated at BVNW according to weighted GPA.

Senior Moira Henderson, one of the 39 awarded, said being named as a Kansas Honor Scholar felt good and it was nice to be rewarded for the hard work she has done.

“Some days it’s really stressful, and [you] don’t know if the stress is worth all the work you put in,” Henderson said. “Other days, when you get that email saying you’re a Kansas Honors Scholar, it does show that at least you’re getting some kind of recognition for doing all that work.”

Senior Tammy Ma, another one of the 39 receiving this honor, said taking harder classes was worth it, not necessarily because of a higher GPA and receiving the Kansas Honors Scholar award, but because of the things she learned in those classes.

“Keep working hard, and keep up with [your] work,” she said, in advising younger students who also want to be awarded as Kansas Honor Scholars.

The 39 BVNW Kansas Honor Scholars will be awarded at a ceremony 7 p.m., Monday, Nov. 17 at Blue Valley High School. Principals, superintendents, parents and guardians will be present to honor the Kansas Honors Scholars from all the Blue Valley schools.

The Class of 2015 Kansas Honors Scholars (listed alphabetically) are: Jay Alexander, Hayden Andresen, Lauren Baumert, Robert Canfield, Elizabeth Cha, Madeline Fitzgerald, Stratton Georgoulis, Haley Glowik, Sidney Hallak, Meghan Henderson, Moira Henderson, Priya Jain, Sara Jenab, Ankit Kadakia, Kerry Kao, Austin Klein, Jack Lapin, Thomas Lasnier, Tammy Ma, Shafaq Mansoor, Ann McLean, Alec Mitchell, Hanna Moradi, Abhik Nag, Jacqueline Passonno, Nidhi Patel, Helen Peng, Katherine Quick, Amani Raheel, Megan Rodrigues, Dalton Schoen, Zachary Stanley, Suzanna Stephenson, Mikaela Steutermann, Brandon Strecker, Kate Sullivan, Katherine Thill, Evan Trout and Kellen Wright.