NAHS holds annual auction

NAHS members turned ordinary chairs into works of art to auction off for a good cause.

Madison Graves, Writer

On Friday, the National Art Honors Society (NAHS) conducted their end-of-the-year auction. Members created art pieces based on a specific theme, which are then auctioned off before the spring play.

Previously, the themes for the fundraiser included a chair auction, a clock auction and a flea market. This year, the NAHS is doing another chair auction. NAHS sponsor and art teacher Chris LaValley said all the money raised will be donated to Rapha House, an organization based in Joplin, Mo. that fights child trafficking and sexual exploitation.

“[NAHS] likes to do a big fundraiser; all the pieces will be available to be bid upon,” LaValley said. “All the money that we make will be donated to some kind of organization. It is supposed to be a type of helping the community.”

Senior Lily Timberlake, NAHS president, has participated in the fundraiser since her sophomore year. According to Timberlake, it’s the last big event the NAHS conducts.

“It’s the only event that shows everyone’s art to the school,” Timberlake said. “It’s for a good cause, but it also shows how hard people work and the talent that is in the school.”

LaValley said the auction is something that allows the NAHS students to work together for a cause.

“I think their art being purchased by somebody gives them a good feeling,” LaValley said. “It’s for a good cause, and they’ve done something positive for someone else. I think anytime, especially for kids who do art, when they can do their art and have somebody else own it.”

Timberlake said the members typically start working on their pieces a month before the auction. Committees work together to create the fundraiser, including food, set-up and posters. About 12 students participated in making chair sculptures for the event.

“I think making the item and coming up with the idea is the most fun,” Timberlake said. “Since everyone is making the same thing, it’s interesting to see people’s different takes on it.”

At the end of this year’s NAHS chair auction, the group sold all fifteen of the chairs on display. All proceeds will be donated to Rapha House.

All fifteen chairs on display were sold, and LaValley said she thought it would be a good idea to stick with the chair theme in the future. Among others, senior Sam Weber was one of the people who bought a chair from the auction.

“Every year I come to the auction with my parents,” Weber said. “It was really buzzing, and a lot better than last year.”

Timberlake sold her ethnic-themed chair for $85. She said the results were better than she expected.

“I was really worried it wouldn’t go that well,” Timberlake said. “But it went really well, better than last year. A lot more people came out and all the chairs looked really great.”