Sweetheart assembly

The BVNW community gathered today to celebrate their annual Sweetheart Pep Assembly.

Claudia Chen, Writer

The annual Sweetheart assembly occurred this afternoon in the gym, as all students and staff witnessed a special soccer recognition, final collection of spirit points, royalty crowning and more. The assembly kicked off with a special recognition and presentation by MaxPreps and Army National Guard to the varsity boys soccer team. The team received the National Ranking Trophy, an award that is presented annually to the 20 best soccer teams in the nation. Out of over 14,000 teams, BVNW was ranked 11 at the end of their season.

“I had no idea about the award [during the season],” senior player Taylor Wiebke said. “After we won state, I thought we would be ranked higher up [nationally], but I never thought we would even be close to the top ten and the fact that we’re eleventh is pretty crazy to me.”

After the team soccer received the trophy, senior Collin Wright sang the national anthem and the seniors did their final spirit dance, finishing with the passage of the spirit stick to the junior class. Next, royalty was announced with freshmen Jackson Forbes and Corinna Hamm; sophomores Cooper Trusdale and McKenzie Meehan and juniors Jay Alexander and Maheen Bangash getting crowned as princes and princesses. The senior king will be announced at Friday night’s basketball game, and the senior queen will be announced at the Sweetheart dance.

After the crownings, the teachers, drumline, cheerleaders, Husky mascot, and dazzlers all performed, and a game of blind-folded freeze dance ensued for a final gathering of spirit points. Sophomore Cassidy Curtis won the game, with juniors in second, freshmen in third, and seniors in fourth, each earning 5, 4, 3, and 2 points for their class respectively. The sophomores won the 2014 Sweetheart spirit week with a total of 57 points, but the seniors had the most combined points from Homecoming and Sweetheart, with 55 points this week and 111 total.

“I think the sophomores brought it, but I thought the seniors were fantastic,” senior Alex Smith said. “We put in a good effort.”

The assembly concluded with a performance from the band, as seniors filed out of the gym from their last school pep assembly.

“This assembly was different because it was more unified, in a sense that our school was coming together and even though we were for separate classes, we were all coming together as Huskies,” Smith said. “I am definitely going to miss all the assemblies because the bring the Husky family together.”