JV Basketball Coach Announces Resignation

Boys JV and assistant Varsity basketball and coach Dwight Williams has accepted the head coaching position at Blue Valley HS next year. Williams has worked at BVNW for four years. Williams said he broke the news to the boys basketball team today, and plans on officially telling the track and field teams Monday.

According to Williams, the decision process has been in the works for a couple weeks. It has always been a goal of his to be a head coach, and Williams said he believes this will be a good opportunity for him. It is not a chance a lot of people get too often, Williams said, and he has every intention of taking advantage of it.

“It’s not an easy decision to leave here,” Williams said. “I’m surrounded by a great administration, students, staff and coaches. To not be here with them next year is going to be tough, (especially) to see them playing while I’m coaching my guys over at Blue Valley [HS]. It was all positive, I’m leaving because I have a good opportunity to do something I’ve always dreamed of doing. You get busy living or you get busy dying. If I don’t take this chance I don’t want to look back and think, ‘Oh, what if I’d taken that role? What would have happened?’ I’m really excited for it.”

Williams said he is looking forward to starting a new chapter in his life. This is something he has worked hard for, Williams said, and he is looking forward to implementing a combination of his own style and Ed Fritz’s mentoring and coaching techniques.

“It’ll be fun to start with a program that’s not on top,” Williams said. “I’m going from a program that’s on top to a program that’s on bottom. I’m going to love working with the coaches over there and the kids and trying to build that program. We’ll use techniques to model the program that they use over here. So I’d like to install a winning tradition over there. That’s the thing I will enjoy the most.”

Out of all the good memories Williams said he has created here, the best involved BVNW graduate Johnny Giess winning state and receiving a full ride scholarship to Arizona after a 7’1″ high jump.

“I’ve never been more happy for a person than I was for him at that time,” Williams said. “I know how down he was a couple weeks before that because he wanted to play college ball and wasn’t going to be able to do that. The Lord works in mysterious ways and everything happened perfect for him. I couldn’t have been happier for him and it couldn’t have happened to a better kid, especially knowing how hard he worked.”

Williams said he will miss the relationships he has formed at BVNW the most. From his first day here four years ago, Williams said he felt like BVNW was his home, and always felt welcomed here.

“Life is short and I appreciate the people that really supported me and helped me out while I was here,” Williams said. “There will always be a special place in my heart for those people, and I’ll always be a husky at heart. I always will be.”