BVNW Girls Lose In First Round Of Sub-State Against BVHS

The girls’ varsity basketball team played the first round of the sub state tournament, losing the game against BVHS with a final score of 47-50.  Due to their loss, this was the girls’ last game of the season, and they will not continue on in the state tournament.
The girls started off the game in close competition with BVHS, ending the first quarter with a score of 7-8. Senior Sam Nicolay helped the team to take the lead with her first three-point shot of the night, but the Tigers quickly regained their lead by the end of the second quarter.
“We played really well both quarters and kept it up, and when I hit my shots I think it really motivated the team to step it up,” Nicolay said.
After halftime, Nicolay scored two more baskets outside the key, but BVNW began to lose pace as the gap between their scores widened, ending the third quarter 30-39. The girls strengthened their defense in the last quarter, keeping the score close, as the game ended with a final score of 47-50.
“I feel pretty good about [our team’s effort],” Nicolay said.  “As a senior I feel good about how we left this game. We gave it all we got.”
The lady Huskies completed their season with a final game record of 12 -14. Junior Lauren Mertz said the team is optimistic looking toward their season next year.
“The seniors on the team this year really set a great example for us, just to keep a good attitude and to keep trying our best even when the game isn’t in our favor,” Mertz said. “I think how we’ve grown as a team this year will really help next year’s season.”