BVNW Beats SMN In First Round Of Sub-State Tournament

For their first round of sub-state tournament play, the BVNW boy’s varsity basketball team took on Shawnee Mission North at home. After struggling to find their footing in the first quarter, the boys went on to win the game 63-23.

To start off the game SMN won the tip off but was unable to score in transition. Junior Clayton Custer was the first to put points up on the board as he was fouled driving into the lane several possessions later. Custer made both free throws. He added on four more points that quarter with a transitional layup and putting an offensive rebound back up. Junior Kyle Harrison hit a three pointer early in the quarter as well, and junior Ben Richardson put up two points on an inbounds play. SMN’s Scott Johnson was able to put up four points early in the quarter with a couple of layups and Nick Finazzo put up two points later for SMN as well. At the end of the first quarter, the score was BVNW 11 SMN 6.

SMN once again started the second quarter off with the ball, but were unable to convert. The Huskies then went on a 12-0 run. Custer had multiple drives to the basket for two points and hit two three pointers later in the half. Richardson added four points to the board off of an inbounds play and an open drive to the hoop. Junior Vince Fritz put up his first points of the night with a transitional layup late in the quarter, and Seniors Andrew Martin and Mason Schoen also added two points apiece. SMN’s Michael Weathers was able to end the Huskies run late in the quarter with a pull up jump shot in the lane and scored again a couple possessions later on a drive. SMN’s Vitorio Masina put up the last shot of the half with a baseline three pointer. At the end of the first half, the score was BVNW 31 SMN 12. Custer led in scoring with 16 points.

Martin said the team played badly in the first half, and played down to their competition. However, Martin said in the second half they pulled it together and played as a team.

SMN’s Scott Johnson started the half with an offensive foul as Custer took a charge in the first posession. The Huskies then went on an 8-0 run as Fritz hit two three point shots early in the quarter, and forced SMN to turn the ball over for another layup. The Indians responded with a three pointer from the top of the key, and Richardson replied with two points after forcing SMN to turn the ball over on their next possession. After a series of turnovers, Johnson was then fouled by junior David Salach and went to the line to shoot (and make) two. The Huskies then went on another 8-0 run involving a transition layup and two foul shots from Custer, a foul shot from Fritz, and a three point shot from Richardson. The Indians answered the run with a three point shot off an inbounds play, and Martin ended the quarter with a two-point play. The score at the end of the third quarter was BVNW 51 SMN 22.

Due to a lead of over thirty points to end the third quarter, sub-state tournament rules required a running clock in the fourth quarter. After two opening possessions, Salach dunked on a pass from Fritz for the first points of the quarter. Salach then converted another two-point play when SMN turned the ball over. Fritz also forced a turnover and was rewarded with an open layup. Harrison fouled SMN’s Damien Putnam who ended the run with a foul shot. After another scoreless series, seniors Ian Alter and Schoen were fouled on two separate possessions and added four points to the board. Senior Xin Yi Wang scored two points off of an offensive board and SMN turnover to end the game. The final score was BVNW 63 SMN 23

In the post-game speech in the locker room, head coach Ed Fritz applauded his players on a better second half.

“The ball moved a lot better in the second half,” Fritz said. “We probably had twelve assists the second half. Played a lot of people. It was a lot better. And you know the difference of how to play. But what we have to do between now and Friday is make our defense better. Get our box outs better. Really get in position where we can really make it work. I was pleased with the second half, we were better. Just have to keep working.”

His assistant coaches Williams and Windham also congratulated the team on their success. Williams said the team has to play this way for the rest of the season, and the way they work in practice must transfer over to their games. Windham said he approved of how the team listened and trusted their coaches, and how the team was unselfish in the second half.

“I’m looking forward to playing as a team and playing good defense [on Friday],” Martin said. “I’m looking forward to playing well. Playing as a team. Playing the Northwest way. Getting after it.”

The second game of the sub-state tournament will be played this Friday at 7 at BVNW versus SMW.