Tweeting The Curriculum

Tweeting The Curriculum

Many people use the popular networking site, Twitter for their own personal accounts. But Spanish teacher Kari Hillen has been using a classroom Twitter account to help improve in the classroom.

Hillen has used Twitter for the past two years to help improve in the classroom by posting homework assignments and dates for upcoming tests and quizzes.
“I use Twitter to post homework assignments, something last minute that I may have forgotten, or if there is a lot of notes on the board a student or I will take a picture and post it,” Hillen said. “Sometimes I do a word of the day, or I’ll let students know when grades are posted.”

As for student feedback, junior Mia Murphy said she has found the account helpful, quick and easy to look at.

“I’ve followed her since November or December when I got my Twitter, I remembered her saying something about it, so I decided to follow her,” Murphy said. “Whenever [Hillen] puts something in the grade book, like the final she would tweet it. Instead of constantly refreshing the grade book page I would just check my phone.”

“Its not required for them to follow me, so those who do follow me, it’s their choice.” Hillen said.

Hillen said she would recommend using Twitter to other teachers because it’s simple to do, and students find it helpful and easy to stay tuned into class plans.

“I’m always looking for something new.” Hillen said. “It’s just deciding what’s worth your time and what’s not, thinking about what’s going to be around in a year and what’s not.”