America Decides Sponsored School Election

BVNW elected Gov. Mitt Romney president in the school election held Nov. 6.

America Decides, a class held every four years, sponsored a mock election for the student body on Election Day. Students went down to the Atrium to cast their ballot during their social studies’ class or at their own convenience.

The voting was done through Kids Vote for America, said senior Jackson Keller. Social studies teacher Brian Murphy said the results of the election will be available Nov. 7.
“The students will see how well they did,” Murphy said. “The last time we did this, we had ninety-seven percent of the school vote. I thought that was really neat. It will be interesting to see how many students take it upon themselves to get out and vote. It looks like we are getting a pretty good turnout.”
In the past election, President Barack Obama won the BVNW election by about seven votes, Keller said. Senior Grant Moehlenhoff said that the school election will not represent the country as a whole since, historically, Kan. is a Republican state.
“I don’t think our [election] will show the same as the country because of how conservative the state of Kansas is,” Moehlenhoff said. “Johnson county is pretty liberal for a Kansas county where most of us are moderates but I still there are a lot of Romney voters that it will show a favor to him. I think it will be closer than the country’s vote.”
Sophomore Anna Koz said she felt voting was important because it gives people a say in government. Murphy said he hopes that the election will help students take on some responsibility and let them know that they can have an impact.
“Hopefully they will take on some responsibility and take that with them later on when they are eligible to vote,” Murphy said. “They will go out and actually vote or get involved in politics and know they can make a decision.”