BVNW Beats Bishop Miege At Away Game

The boys varsity football team beat Bishop Miege 21-14 at an away game.

The game had a slow start until senior Reed Coda scored a touchdown with 10 seconds left in the first quarter, making the score BVNW 7, Bishop Miege 0.

At halftime, the score was still the same after a series of fumbles and incomplete plays.

Senior Bailey Strohl was injured on the way to a touchdown with 8:18 left in the third quarter. According to head coach Mike Zegunis, it was only a mild hip injury but he took Strohl off the field for a few minutes to ease his worries about any further injuries due to the heavy tackle.

With 7:30 left in the third quarter, senior Austin Moses scored for BVNW. Junior Bryan Gish kicked a successful field goal, advancing the score to 14-0.

With three minutes remaining in the third quarter, Bishop Miege scores a touchdown but misses the field goal. This determines the final score for the third quarter: BVNW 14, Bishop Miege 6.

Bishop Miege shortens BVNW’s lead with a touchdown and fair field goal. With 56 seconds left in the game, the score is 14-12. They followed this up with a conversion, which sent the game into overtime with a tie, 14-14.

BVNW successfully got a touchdown and a field goal, bringing the score to 21-14. After preventing Bishop Miege from scoring any more points, BVNW won the game.

Although he wishes it could have been an easier win, Zegunis said that he was happy that the players corrected their mistakes from their game last week and pulled through in the end.

“Our kids played really well tonight,” Zegunis said. “I know we were a little embarrassed by the way we played last week, and we said we wanted to come out and do a better job and have a better showing. A lot of times you say that and it doesn’t happen, so I’m really proud that we said it and we did it.”

Junior Jacob Rominger said this win is going to turn around the team’s bad start and get them to come back and have a successful season.

“The game went fantastic for us,” Rominger said. “We started off at a fast pace and we came out strong. We fought the entire game and we came out with a victory.”