2018 Graduate Kadisyn Kircher competes in KC Superstar Semifinals

2018 graduate Kadisyn Kircher competed in the KC Superstar semifinals at the Jewish Community Center tonight. Kircher was one of 21 semifinalists selected from the KC metro area.

Kadisyn+Kircher+talks+with+the+host+before+she+performs+%22Bound+to+You%22+by+Christina+Aguilera+at+the+KC+Superstar+Competition.+
Kadisyn Kircher talks with the host before she performs

Kadisyn Kircher talks with the host before she performs "Bound to You" by Christina Aguilera at the KC Superstar Competition.

Jaelen Matthews

Jaelen Matthews

Olivia Dowell

2018 BVNW graduate Kadisyn Kircher participated in the semifinals for the KC Superstar Competition, an annual singing competition held at the Jewish Community Center. The competition is structured similarly to American Idol, and the winner of the competition will win $10,000, according to JCC’s website.

Kircher sang “Bound to You” by Christina Aguilera and was not selected as one of the 10 finalists to advance to the finals on Aug. 26.

Kircher said the fundraiser is an effective way to give back to the Jewish Community of Greater Kansas City.

“It’s a really big fundraiser for the community so they can give back to children,” Kircher said.  “They also asked us to bring books in to give to the kids programs and it’s entertainment for the people who are giving money and donating.”

As manager of Donor Relations and Events of JCC, Felice Azorsky said KC Superstar is the largest fundraiser JCC holds annually all in part to the charity work from the money to fund scholarships for JCC.

Compared to other competitions in the KC area, Azorsky said KC Superstar is not just focused on the ultimate prize, but instead focuses mostly on opening up performance opportunities for local musicians.

“The kids don’t have to pay and a lot of our kids have gone on to audition and be on The Voice or American Idol and sing the National Anthem at the KU Game or Royals or Chiefs Game,” Azorsky said. “It’s really quite a door opener for local kids.”

Despite initially being nervous for the audition, Kircher said she relaxed and persevered through the audition.

“It wasn’t as scary as I thought it was going to be,” Kircher said. “I think it honestly because I didn’t think I was going to make it so I was like ‘I’m going to just relax and have fun with the audition instead of stressing about making it.’”

Kircher’s mother, Rachelle Kircher, said Kircher’s participation in the Husky Showcase helped her to succeed in her final performance as a high schooler.

“She’s comfortable with being on stage and singing in front of people,” Rachelle said. “It’s been a tremendous opportunity to be with the [BVNW] choir and if it weren’t for the choir, she wouldn’t be at this level.”

Azorsky said qualifying to the semifinals is a high achievement because of the level of talent the judges look for during each audition.

“Everybody [who] would come in for the most part is an extremely talented singer so when we narrow it down it’s really that you’re an extremely talented person and you’re polished but there could be a raw talent,” Azorsky said.

Kircher plans to attend Midland University in Fremont, Neb. in the fall to study physical therapy, and does not plan to continue music courses.