More than paper and pencils

Sophomores Jacen Wilcutt and Ingrid Johnson draw together to help improve their art.

Lauren Fischer, Staff Writer

The pencil glides smoothly across the paper, creating intricate lines and shapes. The drawing may just look like a few jumbled doodles at first, but it slowly develops into a complex design. Vibrant colors are introduced, bringing new dimensions to the drawing and making it more than a doodle. For sophomores Jacen Wilcutt and Ingrid Johnston, drawing means much more than a design on paper.

Both Wilcutt and Johnston said they have drawn since they could hold a pencil, but did not share their art with each other until middle school.

“[Wilcutt] helps with that constructive criticism; helping me to understand what I do wrong, and how I can fix it,” Johnston said.

Willcutt and Johnston’s art styles are very similar, and both artists’ work varies from cartoon drawings to realistic ones.  

“If I’m going for a more cartoon-y look like [Johnston’s],” Wilcutt said, “our styles can look the same; but other than that, mine is more painted and realistic-looking sometimes, and mine is not very consistent. It depends on my mood,” 

Johnston said helping each other with art can be very beneficial, and she and Wilcutt often trade tips and tricks on how to improve their art.  

“[Drawing together] helps a lot because then we can know what exactly we’re doing to improve, what we want to improve in, and it helps our styles grow,” Johnston said.

Art teacher Brian Pollack said sharing artwork with friends is about helping each other improve through constructive criticism while still having fun.

“The important thing, especially if you’re [drawing] with friends, is to enjoy the experience and not be judgemental,” Pollack said. “Art is supposed to be fun, it’s supposed to be people’s personal voice, and everyone is born differently (and) has different ideas and different talents; your drawing might look different than the other person you’re drawing next to, but that’s the fun of it.”

Both Johnston and Wilcutt said drawing with each other has improved and benefited their styles. Johnston said drawing with Wilcutt helps her grow not only as an artist, but also as a person.

ingrid and jacen
Justin Lehtinen

“Sometimes you can start out having doodles, and then when you’re talking about the art with someone else, it will turn into something completely different, and you’ll start really liking what you’ve done,” Johnston said.

Pollack said drawing with friends can be fun, but it also provides constructive criticism.

“I think when you get together and [draw] with friends, it becomes a fun ordeal, it almost helps relax you more because you’re enjoying time with friends while doing something you like,” Pollack said.

The two girls plan to eventually develop drawing and turning art into future careers.

Wilcutt said she and her mother are planning to open a store on Etsy to sell art.

Johnston’s interests vary; she is considering becoming a tattoo artist, an animator or an illustrator.  Johnston said she hopes she and Wilcutt will continue to draw together, possibly in college.

“If you want to do something with somebody you really enjoy being around, it probably (is) going to end up being better than you hoped,” Wilcutt said.